Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Martín Ferrari <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/04 19:00:34 UTC

Question about stable version

I am trying to package xml-rpc for debian, but I see some unclear
spots, and maybe you can clarify them...

- You list FESI as a dependence somewhere (now I couldn't find it, but
is in the sources and in the build.xml) but it is not included in any
of the generated jars...
- build.xml depends on a bunch of variables not defined nor documented!!
- You use a deprecated interface to jsse
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#comTojavax)
- The readme talks about non-existant directories (but present in CVS)

Should I instead use the CVS version??

Thanks a lot

--
Martín Ferrari

Re: Question about stable version

Posted by Martín Ferrari <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 4, 2005 3:17 PM, Steve Quint <li...@nanohertz.com> wrote:
> At 2:00 PM -0300 4/4/05, Martín Ferrari wrote:
> >I am trying to package xml-rpc for debian, but I see some unclear
> >spots, and maybe you can clarify them...
> >
> >- You list FESI as a dependence somewhere (now I couldn't find it, but
> >is in the sources and in the build.xml) but it is not included in any
> >of the generated jars...
> >- build.xml depends on a bunch of variables not defined nor documented!!
> >- You use a deprecated interface to jsse
> >(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#comTojavax)
> >- The readme talks about non-existant directories (but present in CVS)
>
> The answer to all but the third question is "Use maven, not ant.".

It is really necessary to add another dependency (one that weighs 6 MB)?

Apart from not being mentioned in the README (is only Ant there), and
still not packaged for debian, I have just seen that maven has a way
of creating proper build.xml files, wouldn't it be mich nicer to end
users and packagers alike?

What do you think?

Posted by Steve Quint <li...@nanohertz.com>.
At 2:00 PM -0300 4/4/05, Martín Ferrari wrote:
>I am trying to package xml-rpc for debian, but I see some unclear
>spots, and maybe you can clarify them...
>
>- You list FESI as a dependence somewhere (now I couldn't find it, but
>is in the sources and in the build.xml) but it is not included in any
>of the generated jars...
>- build.xml depends on a bunch of variables not defined nor documented!!
>- You use a deprecated interface to jsse
>(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#comTojavax)
>- The readme talks about non-existant directories (but present in CVS)

The answer to all but the third question is "Use maven, not ant.".

--

Steve

"Always ... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is
better. And twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad. And too
much is never enough except when it's just about right."
			-- The Tick

Re: Question about stable version

Posted by Martín Ferrari <ma...@gmail.com>.
I've just tried to fill a bug with this, but bugzilla won't let me.
XML-RPC is not listed in the products page, and if I manually go to
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=XML-RPC it
gives me: " The product name 'XML-RPC' is invalid or does not exist."

Posted by Martín Ferrari <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Martín Ferrari