Posted to users@maven.apache.org by MacMohan <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/04 05:55:13 UTC

project structure and maven.

hi, presently the project structure my company is using is that of a tomcat
project.

 myApplication
 |-- CSS(folder)
 |-- images
 |-- java scripts(folder)
 |-- JSP(folder)
 |-- WEB_INF(folder)
 |    |-- classes
 |    |-- lib
 |    |-- src
 |    |  |-- com
 |    |      |-- companyName
 |    |          |-- applicationName
 |    |              |-- Java files in their respective folders
 |    |
 |    |
 |    |--struts-config.xml

 |--build.xm
 |--build.properties

i m using ant 1.6 to make war files. But now my company wants me to use
Maven to do nightly builds and deployment of project for testing and
development environment.

My question is: Do i have to re arrange my project structure to standard
directory layout to use maven?

my-app
|-- pom.xml
`-- src
    |-- main
    |   `-- java
    |       `-- com
    |           `-- mycompany
    |               `-- app
    |                   `-- App.java
    `-- test
        `-- java
            `-- com
                `-- mycompany
                    `-- app
                        `-- AppTest.java

if no then how to make maven understand what my project structure is?

an if yes, do you think i need to migrate to maven from ant just for nightly
builds and deployment? Can't i do that some other way?

Please help.

Regards,
MacMohan.

Re: project structure and maven.

Posted by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM, MacMohan <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [INFO] Trace
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at
> org.codehaus.plexus.util.DirectoryScanner.scandir(DirectoryScanner.ja
> va:712)
>        at

Maybe this?
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/PLXUTILS-46

You could try a mvn -X as well to get more information.

--
Geoffrey Wiseman
http://www.geoffreywiseman.ca/

Re: project structure and maven.

Posted by MacMohan <ma...@gmail.com>.

Thanks Geoffrey, for your quick response. I read into pom.xml in detail and
updated the same. Now when im telling maven to compile its giving me a fatal
error:

[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] null
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.util.DirectoryScanner.scandir(DirectoryScanner.ja
va:712)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.util.DirectoryScanner.scandir(DirectoryScanner.ja
va:727)
        at
org.codehaus.plexus.util.DirectoryScanner.scan(DirectoryScanner.java:
593)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.resources.ResourcesMojo.copyResources(Resourc
esMojo.java:158)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.resources.ResourcesMojo.execute(ResourcesMojo
.java:100)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPlugi
nManager.java:451)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:558)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLi
fecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:499)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(Defau
ltLifecycleExecutor.java:478)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHan
dleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:330)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegmen
ts(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:291)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:142)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:336)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
        at

i used mvn compile -e comand and this is the result. Can you sight the
problem please?

Thanks,

MacMohan.

Posted by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Geoffrey Wiseman <
geoffrey.wiseman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:55 PM, MacMohan <ma...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> i m using ant 1.6 to make war files. But now my company wants me to use
>> Maven to do nightly builds and deployment of project for testing and
>> development environment.
>>
>> My question is: Do i have to re arrange my project structure to standard
>> directory layout to use maven?
>

> Not necessarily - Maven's pretty flexible if you want it to be.  You can
> redefine the locations as need be for the most part.  That said, if you
> stuck with Maven for the long haul, I probably would restructure the project
> at some point, either a piece at a time or in one big

... chunk.  Sorry, sent early.

if no then how to make maven understand what my project structure is?

The pom allows you to tell Maven where to find  your source files, your
resources, test resources, and so on.

> an if yes, do you think i need to migrate to maven from ant just for
> nightly
> builds and deployment? Can't i do that some other way?

Well, I don't know anything about the tools and processes in your company,
but it's certainly possible to do nightly builds and deployment using Ant.

  - Geoffrey

Posted by Geoffrey Wiseman <ge...@gmail.com>.