Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2004/07/23 15:43:32 UTC

Re: svn commit: r10386 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_subr tests/libsvn_subr

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 18:27, lundblad@tigris.org wrote:
> Author: lundblad
> Date: Thu Jul 22 18:27:36 2004
> New Revision: 10386
>
> Log:
> Fix issue #1910: support IRIs (Internationlized URIs) and auto-escape
> certain ASCII characters in URIs in the command line client.

Peter, you are my new hero.  This is such a great increase in
usability!  We've finally caught up with web browsers.  :-)

This is a pretty big UI change, though.  It's definitely not something
we can just throw into 1.1-rc2.  It might even be too big for 1.1.1...
maybe it's a 1.2 feature?

Re: svn commit: r10386 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_subr tests/libsvn_subr

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 18:27, lundblad@tigris.org wrote:
> > Author: lundblad
> > Date: Thu Jul 22 18:27:36 2004
> > New Revision: 10386
> >
> > Log:
> > Fix issue #1910: support IRIs (Internationlized URIs) and auto-escape
> > certain ASCII characters in URIs in the command line client.
>
> Peter, you are my new hero.  This is such a great increase in
> usability!  We've finally caught up with web browsers.  :-)

Thanks... Yes, it is a nice little feature and quite simple, too.

> This is a pretty big UI change, though.  It's definitely not something
> we can just throw into 1.1-rc2.  It might even be too big for 1.1.1...
> maybe it's a 1.2 feature?

It is a big change, but it should be backwards-compatible.  It turns
strings that were invalid URLs into valid ones. The current implementation
isn't for 1.1.1, since it introduces new APIs. That could be changed, but
probably it is best left for 1.2.

Regards,
//Peter

Re: svn commit: r10386 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_subr tests/libsvn_subr

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> > something
> > 1.1.1...

> > period.
> > >
> > > When we restart soaking, this feature could go in +0 on that.
> > >

> > Then we need to consider r10353, r10375 (fixes #1956). Note that this
> > isn't just about blame in 1.1, but everything that uses
> > svn_client__repos_locations against an 1.0.x server will break with
> > non-ASCII characters in the repository root URL. Now that using non-ASCII
> > chars is more userfriendly, this might increase. On the other hand, it
> > might be enough to tell people to upgrade in that case. As you see, I'm
> > not sure, but I wanted to raise the issue so we don't get surprised later
> > on.
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you mean to say, but I think there are two
> possibilities:
>
> 1) svn_client__repos_locations was unable to handle non-ascii characters in
> 1.0, thereby effectively making this unsupported in 1.0;
>
> 2) svn_client__repos_locations was able to handle non-ascii characters in
> 1.0, but 1.1 introduces a change which is incompatible with the old code.
> (Why the incompatibility?)

svn_client__repos_locations isn't in 1.0 clients. The bug is in blame for
1.0 but also in 1.1 clients for many or all commands that take WC paths,
since they use ra->repos_root. But since that is only in compatibility
code, it would have to go into a potential 1.0.x release, so you can
probably forget what I wrote earlier today. get_repos_root is still buggy
in 1.1. servers, but it doesn't lead to any bugs in our client.

Rorry for this noise and thanks for making me think once more:-)
//Peter

Re: svn commit: r10386 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_subr tests/libsvn_subr

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 11:43, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> > This is a pretty big UI change, though.  It's definitely not something
> > we can just throw into 1.1-rc2.  It might even be too big for 1.1.1...
> > maybe it's a 1.2 feature?
>
> It's a new feature, so it can't go into 1.1.1.
>
> It can go into 1.1.0, but only if we restart the four-week soak period.
> (Which, given the magnitude of problems discovered so far, might be a
> good idea anyway.)

+1 on restarting the soak period. I don't feel very comfortable with
releasing what we have yet.

When we restart soaking, this feature could go in +0 on that.

bye,

Erik.

--
+++ GMX DSL-Tarife 3 Monate gratis* +++ Nur bis 25.7.2004 +++
Bis 24.000 MB oder 300 Freistunden inkl. http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Restarting 1.1.0 soak to include IRI support (was: svn commit: r10386 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_subr tests/libsvn_subr)

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Ben Reser wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 10:35:09AM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > Greg Hudson wrote:
> > >It can go into 1.1.0, but only if we restart the four-week soak period.
> > >(Which, given the magnitude of problems discovered so far, might be a
> > >good idea anyway.)
> >
> > Given the usability issues this solves, perhaps holding up 1.1.0 so we
> > can get it in is a good idea.
>
> Let's not do that.  I'd rather we put this in 1.2.0 so we can have some
> experience running it before we start trying to put it in a release.
> We've already got enough bugs to work out before we do 1.1.0.  Let's not

That's a classical trap, I think. Maybe I was to quick to nominate and
vote for it. I'm fine either way.

//Peter

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 10:35:09AM -0400, Garrett Rooney wrote:
> Greg Hudson wrote:
> >It can go into 1.1.0, but only if we restart the four-week soak period.
> >(Which, given the magnitude of problems discovered so far, might be a
> >good idea anyway.)
>
> Given the usability issues this solves, perhaps holding up 1.1.0 so we
> can get it in is a good idea.

Let's not do that.  I'd rather we put this in 1.2.0 so we can have some
experience running it before we start trying to put it in a release.
We've already got enough bugs to work out before we do 1.1.0.  Let's not
start adding functionality that creates the potential for more.  If
1.1.0 was complete enough to be 1.1.0 last week, then it's still
complete enough.

As far as restarting our soak period without adding functionality, I
have no objection.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: svn commit: r10386 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_subr tests/libsvn_subr

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 11:43, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
>>This is a pretty big UI change, though.  It's definitely not something
>>we can just throw into 1.1-rc2.  It might even be too big for 1.1.1...
>>maybe it's a 1.2 feature?
>

> It's a new feature, so it can't go into 1.1.1.
>
> It can go into 1.1.0, but only if we restart the four-week soak period.
> (Which, given the magnitude of problems discovered so far, might be a
> good idea anyway.)

Given the usability issues this solves, perhaps holding up 1.1.0 so we
can get it in is a good idea.

-garrett

Re: svn commit: r10386 - in trunk/subversion: include libsvn_subr tests/libsvn_subr

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.