Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Thomas Cox <Th...@sas.com> on 2003/05/09 15:02:24 UTC

StAX?

OK, probably the wrong group, but maybe someone here can point me in the right direction.

We currently use the SAX parser in Xerces 2.2.0 *, but are considering StAX (See JSR 173 - http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=173 ) for future releases. Anyone know whether Apache will be doing a StAX implementation, or have any news on the state of the JSR? (I've seen the XMLPullParserConfiguration notes, which is not quite what we had in mind...)

Thanks,
Thomas Cox

(* FWIW, we tried to move to 2.3 before lockdown in the product cycle but couldn't due to the PSVI deprecation warnings. Not that it caused any actual problems, but our builds are designed to fail on warnings as a QA measure. <sigh>)

Re: StAX?

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Thomas Cox wrote:
> We currently use the SAX parser in Xerces 2.2.0 *,
> but are considering StAX
> (See JSR 173 - http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=173 )
> for future releases. Anyone know whether Apache will be doing
> a StAX implementation,

We don't have any plans yet to implement StaX.
I expect Xerces developers to review the API during JSR public review
and then decide if it makes sense for us to implement it.

> or have any news on the state of
> the JSR?

>From the URL you've provided it seems that JSR is in the Community
Review.

> (* FWIW, we tried to move to 2.3 before lockdown in the product
> cycle but couldn't due to the PSVI deprecation warnings.

In the latest release 2.4, the PSVI API are no longer deprecated.
Please, note that the API is not final yet: some modifications could
still be made and the API could move to another package.

Thank you,
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: StAX?

Posted by Joseph Kesselman <ke...@us.ibm.com>.
"Pull" APIs sometimes make the consumer's life considerably easier at the
cost of sometimes making the producer's life considerably more difficult.
It's easier to report good performance numbers in your component when
you're in control of the processing loop. As a result, every step in the
processing chain really wants a pull API on its input side and a push API
on its output side...

(I'm not a great fan of event-driven systems for stream processing --
though they have value in truly asynchronous systems like user interfaces.
Users really want to think of parsers as "high-level tokenizers", so pull
makes a certain amount sense if it can be done efficiently. But I also
think the distinction between the two models has been oversold.)

______________________________________
Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Sandy Tyra, in r.m.filk

Re: StAX?

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Thomas Cox wrote:
> We currently use the SAX parser in Xerces 2.2.0 *, but
 > are considering StAX (See JSR 173 - http://www.jcp.org/
 > en/jsr/detail?id=173 ) for future releases. Anyone know
 > whether Apache will be doing a StAX implementation, or
 > have any news on the state of the JSR? (I've seen the
 > XMLPullParserConfiguration notes, which is not quite
 > what we had in mind...)

As XML pull-parsing APIs become more popular, we will
continue to examine this approach and what it would take
to implement such a solution in Xerces. But as Elena said,
we don't have plans to implement it at this time.

With luck, there will be a public review of JSR-173 soon
so that we can get a better idea of whether the API makes
sense for the Xerces community.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org