Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis Monteiro <jl...@tomitribe.com> on 2021/01/12 21:34:28 UTC

[ANN] Welcome new Apache TomEE Committer Richard Zowalla

The Project Management Committee (PMC) for Apache TomEE has
invited Richard to become a committer and we are pleased to announce that
he has accepted.

Richard, a while back (yes I know) when I started contributing and I
eventually got invited to become a committer, David sent a wonderful
message[1] based on the well known proverb "It takes a village ... (to
raise a child)". I can't unfortunately compete with David's phrasing and
wonderful words, but believe me, I wish I could for you. But I'll try to
say it with my simple but honest frenchglish words.

I'm very proud to be writing this announcement on behalf of the Apache
TomEE PMC. You have been continuously contributing to the project, with
code, documentation, examples and most important, helping out users and
other potential committers.

You have the Apache way and I'm glad you accepted the invite.
It's our committer responsibility to enable others to contribute and again
I think you have been doing great.

Being a committer enables easier contribution to the project since there is
no need to go via the patch submission process. This should enable better
productivity. Being a PMC member enables assistance with the management and
to guide the direction of the project.

Please join me and send him a warm welcome and thank you.

[1]
http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/It-takes-a-village-Jean-Louis-td988516.html#a988522

--
Jean-Louis Monteiro
http://twitter.com/jlouismonteiro

Re: [ANN] Welcome new Apache TomEE Committer Richard Zowalla

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
Congrats!

Posted by Thomas Andraschko <an...@gmail.com>.
Congrats!

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations  Richard!
Your hard work is reflected in your contribution, reviews, etc.  We all are
delighted to keep working with you and keep having the fun of learning,
sharing and caring for the TomEE community :)

--
Atentamente:
César Hernández.

Re: [ANN] Welcome new Apache TomEE Committer Richard Zowalla

Posted by Cesar Hernandez <ce...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations  Richard!

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dias Dos Santos <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
Very excellent post, Jean-Louis!

Congratulations and well deserved, Richard!  So very well deserved.  It's been a joy to see your activity through various parts of the project.

People often wonder how they can become committers.  The answer is simple but perhaps counter-intuitive: engage with the project as if you are already a committer.  Ways to do that include:

 - Help with code reviews.  You won't annoy people with your thoughts.  More eyes is good for quality and it's a great way for everyone to get to know you and learn.

 - Ask questions and turn answers into documentation.  If email was documentation we'd delete the website and just publish the archives.  Pulling information out of people and turning what you learn into documentation is a great way to learn and contribute at the same time.  it also helps people get to know you.

 - Team with other people also looking to contribute.  When someone posts, "how can I help", consider posting, "I don't know what I'm doing either, but maybe we can work on something together."  Collaboration is how open source works.  Activity creates more activity.  Two new faces sharing what they're learning over the lists has a way of encouraging others to find the bravery to jump in.

 - Consistency.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  One major contribution and then nothing isn't as effective as several smaller contributions over time.  Stay active even if it's just a small thing here and there.

 - Help others feel welcome.  Understand you are already welcome, you don't need to earn that.  Help others feel the same way.  Any tiny bit of information you have to share is valuable to new people.  The act of helping someone to any degree builds community and that's the most important thing in an open source project.

Notice "implement the most amazing feature ever" is not in the list :)

Richard, you help to the best of your ability, you're kind and welcoming to others and you don't let fear of what you don't know stop you from contributing.

I won't say welcome aboard because you've always been welcome, so instead I'll say congratulations!  You earned it, sir!

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Posted by "Zowalla, Richard" <ri...@hs-heilbronn.de>.
Thanks to all of you for your kind words and for this opportunity!

TomEE has a very welcoming community.

My journey started in 2015 (with TomEE 1.7.x), when my colleague,
Martin W., urged me (hehe, sorry for the wording :-P) to join the
dev@tomee.apache.org list to monitor potential discussions, which would
influence our (research) software. So, there I was - a silent listener
reading the various discussions going on at this time.

Then, in December 2018, there was "TomEE for the Holidays" (with this
cool images on Twitter [1]) and we had an issue (related to German
locales / date formatting) influencing our software: after some
debugging and feedback by Romain via Jira, my first commit to TomEE was
born. Time passed again and in 2019, the next image appeared on Twitter
[2]. In 2020, I was experimenting with JCA connectors to build some
sort of pseudo transactional file io (digged through the mailing lists
to find some information about it - might be worth to write it down in
the future :-) ) and also learned a lot related to CORBA, Byte-Code
generation at build time and SPI (and also some sort of history about
it).

Through all this years: Whenever I had a question or some thoughts, I
received an answer or a piece of information to start digging enabling
me to ask a follow up question and so on ...

tl;dr: I experienced a lot of fun & learned a lot about TomEE internals
and I am still learning a lot each day. Thus, I feel honored to be part
of such a supportive community (even before becomming a committer) :-)

I hope, that I can continue this journey with all of you in the next
years!

Gruss
Richard

[1] https://twitter.com/tomitribe/status/1073645255407345666