Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Kessiler Rodrigues <ke...@callinize.com> on 2016/07/28 22:19:01 UTC

SSD or not for Kafka brokers?

Hi guys,

Should I use SSD for my brokers or not?

What are the pros and cons?

Thank you!

Re: SSD or not for Kafka brokers?

Posted by Anderson Goulart <an...@boxever.com>.
Hi,

You might consider SSD specially for reads - if your consumers are the
bottleneck (as kafka usually sends sequential bulk messages from memory,
it won't  add much value to writes). Latency can be also a factor to
move to SSD (as seek time can vary from 0.2 to 0.8ms on magnetic discs
compared to 0.1-0.2ms on SSD).

The overall throughput of messages/s was 10% better on SSD (in my tests).

-- Anderson

Posted by "Tauzell, Dave" <Da...@surescripts.com>.

Posted by Gerard Klijs <ge...@dizzit.com>.