Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by W <wj...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2021/07/27 17:01:05 UTC

Ho to upgrade to newest version in tomcat 9

Hi,
I am on Ubuntu with tomcat 9.0.16I tried    sudo apt-get update    sudo apt-get upgradeBut did not work. How to do it?
Any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance..

Re: Ho to upgrade to newest version in tomcat 9

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
W,

On 7/28/21 04:08, Olaf Kock wrote:

> On 27.07.21 19:01, W wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am on Ubuntu with tomcat 9.0.16I tried    sudo apt-get update    sudo apt-get upgradeBut did not work. How to do it?
>
> The distribution packages (here: Debian) typically pick one version and
> keep it stable, optionally backporting security fixes to it. Odds are
> that you're already not running the same code as in stock 9.0.16, but a
> patched version.

+1

In order to get the latest Tomcat, you may have to switch your Ubuntu
repository to point to the latest Ubuntu, then upgrade the whole distro
which will include the latest Tomcat available.

> If you want to be on the latest version as soon as it's out, you'll
> either have to install manually from https://tomcat.apache.org, or
> find a repository that you trust, that offers a packaged version.
+1 again

You might be able to cobble-together a sources.list file that merges the
latest Tomcat package (and maybe some dependencies) but allows the OS to
otherwise remain at the older level, but I'd recommend upgrading the
whole OS in general, even if you stop using the package-managed version
of Tomcat.

-chris

Re: Ho to upgrade to newest version in tomcat 9

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.
On 27.07.21 19:01, W wrote:
> Hi,
> I am on Ubuntu with tomcat 9.0.16I tried    sudo apt-get update    sudo apt-get upgradeBut did not work. How to do it?

The distribution packages (here: Debian) typically pick one version and
keep it stable, optionally backporting security fixes to it. Odds are
that you're already not running the same code as in stock 9.0.16, but a
patched version.

If you want to be on the latest version as soon as it's out, you'll
either have to install manually from https://tomcat.apache.org, or find
a repository that you trust, that offers a packaged version.

Olaf