Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Bruce Snyder <fe...@frii.com> on 2004/09/09 06:06:07 UTC

clustering module

I see that there is a clustering module in CVS created by Alan. Has
anyone given any thought on how the clustering can be achieved? Are
there any projects out there with a BSD derived license that can assist
us with clustering in the same or similar manner that JGroups is used by
JBoss?

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print
unpack("u30","<0G)U8V4\\@4VYY9&5R\\"F9E<G)E=\\$\\!F<FEI+F-O;0\\`\\`");'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo

Re: clustering module

Posted by ja...@mac.com.
On 9 Sep 2004, at 13:21, John Woolsey wrote:
> Isn't the standard way to implement clustering to implement a
> clustered JMS and then make everything else rely on that?

Kind of yes.

FWIW we've an Apache 2.0  licensed clustered JMS here...

http://activemq.codehaus.org/

which supports auto-discovering clusters of clients & message brokers
and a variety of clustering options...

http://activemq.codehaus.org/Clustering?refresh=1

> Also for a clustering implementation. Let's say I have information on
> Server A and I want to ensure it is clustered so I send it to server
> B. Is a standard implementation to fire it over a socket and wait for
> receipt confirmation and then move on or are people generally more
> sophisticated then that?

Its kind of a long story, but the short answer is, we're more
sophisticated than that. Here's how distributed queues / topics work in
ActiveMQ...

http://activemq.codehaus.org/How+do+distributed+queues+work?refresh=1
http://activemq.codehaus.org/Networks+of+Brokers?refresh=1

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> That module has basically been abandoned.  I expect us to use
>> ActiveCluser for the clustering.

Agreed.

We're already starting to use ActiveCluster as a way to discover &
connect ActiveMQ message brokers to form a cluster of clients and
brokers with HA. Also WADI - the clustered session state project - uses
ActiveCluster as its discovery, communication and cluster protocol
abstraction...

http://wadi.codehaus.org/

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: clustering module

Posted by John Woolsey <jw...@activation.net>.
Isn't the standard way to implement clustering to implement a clustered
JMS and then make everything else rely on that?

Also for a clustering implementation. Let's say I have information on
Server A and I want to ensure it is clustered so I send it to server B.
Is a standard implementation to fire it over a socket and wait for
receipt confirmation and then move on or are people generally more
sophisticated then that?

                           - bfn - JAW

Re: clustering module

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <ds...@gluecode.com>.