Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/06 06:40:48 UTC

Mootools vs. jQuery

Hi,

I was just wondering what the history of the project's use of Mootools is,
i.e., why it's using Mootools rather than jQuery? On almost all of our own
projects (including some done for clients) we're using jQuery, and in a
plugin I'm working on right now I realised that there are conflicts with
using
both Mootools and jQuery on the same page (resolvable but not pretty).

I'm under the impression that jQuery adoption is enormously more widespread
than Mootools, and with the availability of jQuery sub-projects such as
jQuery
UI it would seem to have some significant advantages over Mootools.

Is there any reason why (apart from the work of making the changes) the
JSPWiki project couldn't switch over to jQuery? Is this because of one of
the editors, or some other reason?

Thanks for any info.

Ichiro

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
I've added a new issue for this, JSPWIKI-811 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-811).

Ichiro

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ichiro,

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Dirk,

Thanks for the pointer, and you're right, the author of that page
convincingly shows that motools.js is pretty powerful.

However, that comparison is 5 years old (and JQuery has grown in
functionality and market share enormously in that period).  The author
states that even in 2009, the JQuery community is /far/ (his emphasis)
larger and more active in promoting the library.

I was struck by the author's comment that JQuery is a toolkit (basically
an add-on) and easier to learn, while MoTools is designed as a framework
for intermediate to advanced JavaScript developers.

I trust your technical skills so I assume that motools is quite capable
and even superior in some respects.

However, personally, the easier-to learn and use (and optional
employment as a toolkit) are key points for me, as is having greater
support and market presence.  And again, for me at least, that fits
better with the whole idea of getting more people to use JSPWiki.

Terry

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
@Terry,

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Hi Ichiro,

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dirk,

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Ichiro Furusato <ic...@gmail.com>.
Hi Janne,

Re: Mootools vs. jQuery

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Simply put: JQuery did not exist at the time as a viable alternative, and Dirk, who wrote the templates, just was more familiar with Mootools.  Since then, nobody has cared enough to change the default template to use anything else (despite several people promising that they'd contribute a new default template ;-).

(JQuery is very popular these days - too popular even; at work we're often interviewing people who claim to know Javascript but when we ask them to make a really simple effect *without* JQuery they get all confused and teary-eyed.)