Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by andymorris <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/31 13:23:00 UTC

Re: Messages getting Stuck

Hi guys/gals

I know this is a fairly old post but I am experiencing exactly the same
problem as described using version 5.2, so any bug may not have been fixed.

After failover a load of messages (have seen up to 7000) get stuck, if I
then restart the dead node and kill the new master (so switching back) then
some of the messages get consumed, however this is only a few hundred or
thousand and it gets stuck again. I keep switching broker node by restarting
the dead one and killing the master and it tends to get through the
remainding messages, but it tends to get to a few hundred left and no more
restarting helps.

My setup is:
ActiveMQ 5.2 HA with two nodes master and slave.
Java 6
Spring 2.5
Jencks to provide pooled connections (inbound and outbound)
JmsTemplate
Running from jar file (no appserver in this environment)

FYI our company has used ActiveMQ for the last few years and has had quite a
few problems (some their fault like putting 50mb files in messages!) and I'm
meant to be looking at alternatives. I'd like to prove that if we use it
properly and upgrade to the latest version that there'd be no/less
significant problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

andy

Re: Messages getting Stuck

Posted by Michael Gottschalk <MG...@gmx.net>.
Hi Andy,

we also had similar problems with ActiveMQ 5.2 (see AMQ-2161).

This is apparently fixed in fuse 5.3.0.0, so we switched to fuse.
However, even with fuse, we had some additional problems, which we had to
patch ourselves (namely an out-of-memory problem and a problem with
interruptions). Our patches are available in the activemq JIRA (AMQ-2178 and
AMQ-2191).

We still have one other problem (it occurred in activemq 5.2 and
5.3.0.0-fuse): the camel processors were very slow in some cases when using
JMS transactions and they just stopped polling messages when using XA
transactions in some cases.
We could only fix that problem by replacing all camel processors by custom
code that implements routing and polling directly with Spring JmsTemplates.

Cheers,
    Michael

Re: Messages getting Stuck

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
We do try to fix issues as soon as we can - so I'd recommend try and
use the latest snapshot if you have an issue in a particular version.
We tend to have a long release cycle, simply because the release
process in general is quite painful. However - if you need a stable
version - try out a Fuse Message Broker version - its free, Apache
licensed and built from Apache ActiveMQ (and any issues fixed by FUSE
If you still have problems - just shout louder :)

cheers,

Rob

Rob Davies
http://fusesource.com