Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Ryan Lei <ry...@cht.com.tw> on 2013/11/08 08:30:31 UTC

zone-wide primary storage: 2 possible UI bugs

I have observed two possible UI bugs that have to do with 4.2's new feature
"zone-wide primary storage":

1. Volumes with zone-wide primary storage show no Hypervisor type in
Storage tab.

In the Storage tab, volumes that are placed in zone-wide primary storage
have their Hypervisor field empty. So is in the Volume Details.

Although a zone is allowed to have heterogeneous hypervisor types, is this
behavior normal?

2. UI does not allow storage migration between cluster-wide and zone-wide
storages (while VM migration does).

At first I have cluster1 + host1 with cluster-wide primary storage. Later
within the same zone, I add cluster2 + host2 and a zone-wide primary
storage.
If I try to migrate a VM from host 1 to host 2, the UI does allow it,
saying "Suitable, Storage migration required," and it works perfectly by
triggering implicit storage migration before VM migration.

However, if I try to only migrate the volume (cluster-wide -> zone-wide) in
the Storage tab, the UI does not show the zone-wide storage as a candidate.

Also, if I want to migrate the volume from zone-wide back to cluster-wide
primary storage (both are accessible to the cluster), the UI does not show
the cluster-wide storage as a candidate, either.

Are these potential bugs or flaws? Or are they by design?

Yu-Heng (Ryan) Lei, Associate Researcher
Chunghwa Telecom Laboratories / Cloud Computing Laboratory
ryanlei@cht.com.tw or ryanlei750328@gmail.com