Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2007/04/09 14:47:07 UTC

Doxia Site rendering broken

Hi,

I am probably in a minority, but a patch like the one in
"http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=519557" scares the
hell out of me. Not only is this a major, undocumented change to the
behaviour of the Doxia renderer, it also breaks a number of apt and
xdoc pages that rendered fine before this patch. Suddently one can no
longer write documentation that contains velocity directives. e.g.

[... cut ...]

  You can not load resources with the Velocity Template
  language instructions <<<#parse>>> and <<<#include>>>!

[... cut ...]

As much as I like to have that feature in Doxia (render templates
through Velocity before rendering through Doxia), this is exactly the
kind of half-assed approach that gave Maven its reputation.

Please, either fix this or back this patch out. And if that patch is
accepted, please *document* it.

Now go ahead and give me the "whiner" label again. I don't care.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,               |gls
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person              |eau
                                                                            |m k
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350     |a s
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen |n

	       "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."

Re: Doxia Site rendering broken

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> writes:

>talking about at the best of times so you have to help me out.

>> [... cut ...]
>>
>>   You can not load resources with the Velocity Template
>>   language instructions <<<#parse>>> and <<<#include>>>!
>>

>Again without a full explanation, or context I can't understand what
>you're doing. I assume this is your custom extension of alpha code
>but I have no idea how you're using it.

Nope. Stock maven doxia head. If I were to use my plugins I would have
written so.

Just write an apt document that contains e.g. <<<#parse>>> as part of
the text.

The new Doxia head tries to render this through Velocity, fails
because '#parse' is a syntax error in Velocity (it needs brackets and
a parameter). Something that worked before the addition of that
rendering. Suddenly there are syntax restrictions that have not been
there before.

[...]

>Do you really expect comments like this to be taken seriously. And do
>you think anyone is going to go out of their way to help you? As
>stated before it's alpha code coupled with a major release. The only
>intended consumer of Doxia right now is the site plugin which is why
>we have left it alpha. It is intentionally alpha for a reason.

Well Jason, I did have offered help with Doxia a few times on IRC. The
last release of Doxia (alpha-8) is almost twelve months old. Getting a
few more releases out would help people trying to build their sites
with Maven and getting maven-2 site building to be adopted.

>No, you're just an alarmist and a poor communicator. You went ahead

Yes, that might be. Or it might just be the frustration speaking out
of me.

>and created a set of tools based on alpha code and a new major
>release of the site plugin. Doing whatever you want with this type of

I wrote about stock maven. You seem to assume something else.

As you mentioned my plugins: If you (Maven community) are interested
in the stuff that I did for the Velocity site, it is available from
http://velocity.apache.org/site/tools/ and I am more than happy to
donate it to Doxia and Maven and help integrate it into Doxia.

Actually, the *less* special things that I need to get site rendering
where I want it to be, the happier I am.

You should know me well enough that I will not complain about my stuff
breaking on your list.

But with the Doxia-dev mailing list being dead, the bug reports in
JIRA getting stale and basically no changes on Doxia happening for
months, please do not expect me to hold my breath.

>setup without having talked to anyone and then expecting everything
>to work is not always a reasonable expectation.

I did not expect this. I just did not expected an undocumented patch
that changes behaviour popping up in the middle of a release
cycle. Probably there is documentation about it somewhere. On the
mailing list? On the Wiki? In the IRC logs? The frustrating thing with
Maven is that it's documentation is spread out over a bazillion
places. The book was a start but it is already outdated in some
respects.

As I said: I am willing to help. I am just not sure if there is anyone
that cares about Doxia enough to team up.

	Best regards
		Henning

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 9 Apr 07, at 8:47 AM 9 Apr 07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am probably in a minority, but a patch like the one in
> "http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=519557" scares the
> hell out of me. Not only is this a major, undocumented change to the
> behaviour of the Doxia renderer, it also breaks a number of apt and
> xdoc pages that rendered fine before this patch.

If you're talking about the Velocity processing then we've already
discussed it will be optional. This also refers to an alpha of Doxia,
and a new major release of the site plugin.

> Suddently one can no
> longer write documentation that contains velocity directives. e.g.

Nothing is cast in stone but I don't see why you can't use
directives. You have to explain things better Henning and not just
make unqualified statements. I generally have no idea what you're