Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte <al...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/11 19:14:25 UTC

tomcat 5.5 memory

Hi, I have installed apache tomcat 5.5 and giving me problems with
memory, this is the configuration that I have now, someone can help me
to optimize this, or tell me if this right.The server have 3 gb of
RAM. Thanks

# Run Tomcat as this user ID (default: tomcat55). Set this to an empty string
# to prevent Tomcat from starting.
#TOMCAT5_USER=tomcat55

# The home directory of the Java development kit (JDK). You need at least
# JDK version 1.4. If JAVA_HOME is not set, some common directories for
# the Sun JDK, various J2SE 1.4 versions, and the free runtimes
# java-gcj-compat-dev and kaffe are tried.
JAVA_HOME="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.07"

# Directory for per-instance configuration files and webapps. It contain the
# directories conf, logs, webapps, work and temp. See RUNNING.txt for details.
# Default: /var/lib/tomcat5.5
#CATALINA_BASE=/var/lib/tomcat5.5

# Arguments to pass to the Java virtual machine (JVM)
# "-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx128M" is automatically set if CATALINA_OPTS
# is left empty here
CATALINA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx2048M -server \
              -XX:MaxPermSize=512m \
              -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC \
              -XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled \
              -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled"

# Java compiler to use for translating JavaServer Pages (JSPs). You can use all
# compilers that are accepted by Ant's build.compiler property.
#JSP_COMPILER=jikes

# Use the Java security manager? (yes/no, default: yes)
# WARNING: Do not disable the security manager unless you understand
# the consequences!
# NOTE: java-gcj-compat-dev currently doesn't support a security
# manager.
TOMCAT5_SECURITY=no

# Timeout in seconds for the shutdown procedure (default: 30). The Java
# processes will be killed if tomcat5.5 has not stopped until then.
#TOMCAT5_SHUTDOWN=30

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte wrote:
> The hardware only, the software is 32 bits, and the jvm too. The
> problem that it's spawning too many processes.

Alberto,
what a couple of other people on this list have already tried to tell
you - without apparently triggering any reaction from you -  is that
"too many processes" is not a very precise or helpful expression.
Too many compared to what ?  Compared to what you are expecting ?
compared to the number of requests your server is supposed to process ?
compared to the "maxThreads" attribute of the <Connector> element in
your server.xml configuration file (maybe a hint here) ?

If you have many requests to process very fast, then maybe the number of
processes (or probably threads) that you are seeing is normal and
correct, and your server just does not have enough memory for what you
are trying to do. Or maybe you need more servers.  Or maybe you just
need a better application.

But you are not saying what you are trying to do, so it is hard to help you.

Maybe you would like to start again, describe your server (hardware,
software, application) and what your problem really is ?

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte <al...@gmail.com>.
The tomcat run many processes and each process consumes 6 to 7 mb and
in a Period of time the server's memory is exhausted.

We install the tomcat from the backports repositories because it
needed to install the Java Virtual Machine 6, I use debian etch.

Thanks...

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte <al...@gmail.com>.
Thanks you very much...

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

this number of processes in the tomcat is normal???

thanks

887 tomcat55  25   0  3836 1012  820 S  0.0  0.0   0:00.00 su
 1891 tomcat55  18   0  7884 1788 1376 S  0.0  0.1   0:00.03 rotatelogs
 1908 tomcat55  25   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1909 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1910 tomcat55  25   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:27.88 java
 1915 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:01.15 java
 1916 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:03.21 java
 1917 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1918 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.02 java
 1919 tomcat55  20   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1920 tomcat55  25   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1921 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:13.73 java
 1922 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:14.32 java
 1923 tomcat55  25   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1924 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1925 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1926 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1929 tomcat55  15   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.07 java
 1930 tomcat55  18   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.18 java
 1931 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1932 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1933 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1934 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1935 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1936 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java
 1937 tomcat55  19   0 2759m 294m 7904 S  0.0  9.6   0:00.00 java

Re: tomcat 5.5 memory

Posted by Alberto Jesus La Rosa Agramonte <al...@gmail.com>.
The platform is 64 bits.

RE: tomcat 5.5 memory