Posted to user@empire-db.apache.org by "Pat Nolan, Jr." <me...@techno.io> on 2010/12/14 21:21:45 UTC

Is Empire-DB Ready for Production Use?

Hi Gents, I recently came across this project and I'm very excited to
prototype it for a commercial product that we are building. Would you
say this project is ready to be used in a production setting? Also,
could anyone comment on the level of support for PostgreSQL BLOBs (oid
and bytea)? I didn't see anything in the Wiki or project site that
addresses these questions, so I'd thought I'd turn to the list for
answers. I would MUCH rather use this tool than Hibernate. Thanks!!

re: Is Empire-DB Ready for Production Use?

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Pat,

I have almost nothing to add to Franics' explanation (Thanks Francis).

Like Francis said, the history of Empire-db began long before it became an Apache project and developed through many commercial applications for various projects in industry and government. There is even a C# implementation, but it has not yet been released for public use.

All features have been used in at least one major project, however the databases used were mainly Oracle and sqlserver.
Unfortnately I cannot comment PostgreSQL support, but if there is a problem it should be faily simple to fix.

Regards
Rainer

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pat,

Posted by Andreas Fink <an...@andreasfink.com>.
On Dec 14, 2010, at 9:21 PM, Pat Nolan, Jr. wrote:

> Hi Gents, I recently came across this project and I'm very excited to prototype it for a commercial product that we are building. Would you say this project is ready to be used in a production setting? Also, could anyone comment on the level of support for PostgreSQL BLOBs (oid and bytea)? I didn't see anything in the Wiki or project site that addresses these questions, so I'd thought I'd turn to the list for answers. I would MUCH rather use this tool than Hibernate. Thanks!!

Hi Pat.

We (as in http://www.trendlink.com/ ) use empire-db/postgres in production since one year (not facing the customer/web side though) and never had any problems.
We are using "DataType.INTEGER"/"bigint" for primary keys and we used "bytea" to store snapshots of our model, via plain java serialization (now it is "text" as we store an xml representation).
Our selects are fairly simple, we never used outer joins, stored procedures or other exotica.

Cheers,
Andi.

--
web:   http://andreasfink.com/