Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Vasil Valkov <ba...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/11 21:28:47 UTC

HSSF vs .NET

I have an XML String coming from a web service. I need to parse it and
create an Excel report with the data. I've used the HSSF project in a simple
Java project. But the boss wants me to use .NET and the Office Web
Components. I don't know .NET and I am trying to figure out what is better
for me, learning enough to do this project or start convincing the boss to
use Java and HSSF.
The Excel report looks pretty complicated in terms of almost every cell has
to be manipulated. Although there will not be any macros or formulas, it
will have different fonts, sizes, colors, maybe some drop-down menus. People
here say that .NET can do all that and more.
Does anybody know if HSSF has the same abilities as .NET? I know that it can
create sheets, rows, cells and set the styles because I have done it, but
are they equally powerful? Thank you.
Vasil S. Valkov

Re: HSSF vs .NET

Posted by Igor Androsov <ia...@yahoo.com>.
If you need to produce complex formating and colours
on Excel reports using HSSF I found the easy way to do
it is to create an empty Excel Sheet/report with all
cells formatted as required in MS Excel. Then use it
as template in your HSSF program read template get
cell formats and copy them into your new craeted
report along with your data. This way you are ceratain
that all formating and colors will be same sa they
look in your MS Excel. This method works well for
small number of static reports.

As .NET goes it has full support for EXCEL and all
other formats at native level. HSSF is powerful enoght
for most porjects but when detailed level is required
it is better to use Microsoft native API, .NET or COM
interfaces.

Igor