Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/22 23:31:55 UTC

Image based on external url model object

Hi all,

I cannot find an Image component that could display an image from an
*external* url, supplied by the model object. My use-case is that I have a
user object, which have a gravatarUrl property, and I would like to do
something like "this.add(new ExternalImage("gravatarUrl"));"...

Isn't there any component that actually exists which could do this?

Many thanks in advance,
Sebastien

Re: Image based on external url model object

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/WICKET-6042

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Yes, but UrlResourceReference does not work with/like a [compound]model...

Thanks & best regards,
Sebastien.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Will try to check the code this week

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Sebastien <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> Thanks again, I will try to test this tonight...
>
> Best regards,
> Sebastien.
>

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Tobias Soloschenko <
> tobiassoloschenko@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Here they are:
> >

> https://github.com/klopfdreh/wicket-components-playground/wiki/19.-ExternalImage
> >
> > To test only copy them into your classpath and it would be nice to give
> me
> > some feedback.
> >
> > kind regards
> >
> > Tobias
> >
> > P.S.: If they fit the requirements I'm going to create a PR.
> >
> > Am 24.11.15 um 14:59 schrieb Sebastien:
> >
> > "new Image(String, IModel<String>)" does not work with external urls and
> do
> >> not support compound model :)
> >>

> >> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am pretty sure "new Image(String, IModel<String>)" was for such use
> at

> This

> >:

> and

> help

> component....

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/How+to+load+an+external+image

> sebfz1@gmail.com

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Image based on external url model object

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Maxim,

it should be available within the next SNAPSHOT. I pushed the
corresponding commits to master and to wicket-7.x, now.

ExternalImage and ExternalSource.

Here are some examples:

https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/master/wicket-core/src/test/java/org/apache/wicket/markup/html/image/ExternalImageTestPage.java

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

there is a separate component for source - even in the current implementation. (The default image / default source)

Ok - then I am going to change the model to only contain the src information and add another method to get the models for srcset.

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
unfortunately I was unable to test it or participate in discussion :(
will try it in next available snapshot :)

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 2:17 AM, Tobias Soloschenko <
tobiassoloschenko@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Martin :-D,
>
> and here it is:
>
> https://github.com/apache/wicket/pull/143
>
> kind regards
>
> Tobias
>
> Am 30.11.15 um 21:00 schrieb Martin Grigorov:
>
> Hi,
>>
>> On Nov 30, 2015 4:21 PM, "Sebastien" <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tobias,
>>>
>>> As I stated, I would prefer 2 different models so :
>>> - the main model is used for "src"
>>> - the model is not itself an array of models (I don't recall there is a
>>> such case elsewhere in Wicket)
>>> - it is easier to handle the CPM case
>>>
>>> As the other devs are now back from week-end, it would be nice to have
>>>
>> some
>>
>>> other opinions! :)
>>>
>> I usually wait for the PR to be able to comment on the changes.
>>

>> https://github.com/klopfdreh/wicket-components-playground/blob/master/wicket-components-playground/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/markup/html/image/ExternalImage.java
>>
>> There is no commenting functionality in such links.
>>
>> I could comment on the original commits but:
>> 1) I have to find them
>> 2) no one else (but Tobias) will see my comments
>>
>> Thanks & best regards,
>>> Sebastien.
>>>

>>> On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM, Tobias Soloschenko <
>>> tobiassoloschenko@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sebastien,

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Image based on external url model object

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Martin :-D,

Posted by Martin Grigorov <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Sebastien,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Here they are:

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
I just looked into the Image impl. - the issue here is that the image resource automatically creates a resource reference if only the model is provided. It would be bad to change this behavior.

Anyway I am going to upload the two new components and may you can try / review it.

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Pre 6.x the model is not used, too.

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
The default model is not used anywhere - even before the responsive image refactoring - in my first suggestion I wanted to improve Image that the model is read and set as src if no reference is given - in addition to that I wanted to add a constructor to also support srcset (also in the source class) e.g. IModel<?>... srcSetModels.

But as we discussed in the ticket I build up two new components to not handle this in the normal Image class.

kind regards

Tobias

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
I finished it, yesterday.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Also thanks from me :)

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 9:17 PM, Sebastien <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a million Tobias! :)
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Tobias Soloschenko <
> tobiassoloschenko@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > sounds good - I am going to change the ticket description soon and try to
> > implement it.
> >
> > kind regards
> >
> > Tobias
> >
> > > Am 23.11.2015 um 15:45 schrieb Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Hi Tobias,
> > >
> > > Sorry for the late reply, busy day...
> > >
> > > Actually Image(String id, IModel model, String url) will not help in
> this
> > > case, I need the url to be in the model, but external url doesn't work
> > with
> > > Image... I was more thinking about an ExternalImage component....
> > >
> > > Does it make sense to you?
> > >
> > > Thanks & best regards,
> > > Sebastien.

> Image(String
> > attribute

> solomax666@gmail.com
> > >:

> little
> > >>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/WICKET/How+to+load+an+external+image

> an
> > do

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Image based on external url model object

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a million Tobias! :)

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tobias,

Posted by Tobias Soloschenko <to...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Actually I'm using "hacky" way:

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Image based on external url model object

Posted by Sebastien <se...@gmail.com>.