Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Ramesh Kakarala <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/21 05:03:37 UTC

How To Get POI JAR With Patches

Does anyone know how to get the official Apache POI 2.5.1 JAR that
incorporates all approved patches?  All I see on the Apache site is the
version 2.5.1 JAR dated August 2004.  We recently ran into a bug with this
version where an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException is thrown whenever reading a
spreadsheet that contains a Drop Down List.  I see a Bug #27929 in the Bug
Database for this issue and a Patch referenced.  I made the code changes
suggested by one of the people in the bug thread and it seems to resolve this
defect.  There is a more involved recommended change later in the thread which
I have not tried yet, but I assume it also works.

All well and good but I work for a large corporation where my hacked JAR based
on suggestions from Internet threads is going to be met with a lot of
skepticism.  And frankly if this is an approved patch to the Apache POI
project I can't understand why someone on the team has not seen fit to put out
the latest version 2 JAR (v2.5.2 perhaps) that incorporates all the approved
patches.  Does anyone know what's up with the project and whether it is
possible to download an official latest and greatest version 2 JAR or is this
Drop Down List patch perhaps not really approved.

Re: How To Get POI JAR With Patches

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Juan Ignacio Sánchez Lara wrote:
> Does it include validation support (the stuff that allow drop-down
> lists)? I don't think so, and the patch doesn't work...

Alas, if the patch hasn't been committed, and doesn't currently work with
the latest svn HEAD, then we'll need a new version of the patch

Nick

Re: How To Get POI JAR With Patches

Posted by Juan Ignacio Sánchez Lara <ju...@gmail.com>.

On 6/21/06, Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Ramesh Kakarala wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to get the official Apache POI 2.5.1 JAR that
> > incorporates all approved patches?
>
> There is not a 2.5.2. All there is just 3.0 alpha.
>
> 3.0 alpha 2 was released last week. You can grab it from the dev/bin
> directory of your favourite apache mirror:
>    http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/jakarta/poi/
>
> 3.0 alpha 2 is the latest official release of POI. The excel support
> should be nice and stable - it's things like PowerPoint and formula
> parsing that are new, and not quite ready to be blessed as a full release.
>
> As others have said, you can also get nightly svn builds from
>         http://encore.torchbox.com/poi-svn-build/
>
> Your best bet is to find a version that works, and go with that
>
> Nick

Juan Ignacio Sánchez Lara
Ingeniero Técnico en Informática de Sistemas

juanignaciosl.blogspot.com - Hoy: Trabajo de Programador
www.flickr.com/photos/juanignaciosl

Re: How To Get POI JAR With Patches

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.