Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by otisg <ot...@ureach.com> on 2003/10/07 14:57:10 UTC

[Chain]: k2d2 framework

Hello,

I just learned about the Commons Sandbox's Chain project.  After
reading the proposal, I realized that Chain sounds very much
like the k2d2 framework, which you can find at
http://www.k2d2.org/framework/index.html.  I believe this
framework implements the same patterns as Chain.  I have used
k2d2 framework successfully and found no bugs in it.  The new
version (you can see the link at the top of the page), also
includes code to deal with remote commands, I believe.

Would it be too much to ask that whomever is working on Chain
(Craig McClanahan, Ted Husted?, maybe others) to take a look at
k2d2 and consider adopting that framework?  Or, perhaps, the
classes in k2d2 could be used as implementations of interfaces
that Chain aims to define.  The author of k2d2 has considered
donating the code to Avalon a while back, I believe.

Any feedback to this proposal would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Otis

Re: [Chain]: k2d2 framework

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Could you be more specific as to which classes or packages Chain might
have in common wiht k2d2?

Of course, many, many applications and frameworks include
implementations of the Chain of Responsibility pattern. [Otherwise, it
wouldn't be a pattern :)]

The goal of this package is to provide an implementation that is
independent of a larger framework, so that it can easily reused and
shared between applications and frameworks.

Chain is designed to do exactly one thing well, whereas it would appear
that k2d2 has a larger mission. The Commons was formed so that packages
like this could live outside of larger frameworks, like Avalon, Turbine,
   Struts, et al. So far, this strategy has been quite successful.

-Ted.