Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Uma Shinde <us...@openmarket.com> on 2001/10/26 19:54:16 UTC

Iplanet and extension functions

I had posted this a couple of months ago, but never got any response. Under
iAS6.0, the transformer does not find my extension functions that are
deployed and are in WEB-INF location. After going back and forth on this
with iPlanet support, here's the final response from them.

"I built the sample application with the files that I received from you and
was able to reproduce the problem. I dont know exactly for what reason our
classloader is not able to pick the classes from the WEB-INF/lib with the
sample application that I built with the files sent by you, but when I tried
with my sample application which I had already sent to you everything works
fine and the classloader picks the file from WEB-INF/lib.
Anyway I have reported this problem with our engineering and filed a bug "

Their sample application, BTW, did not use Xalan. Can anyone here help me
out? The workaround seems to
be to jar up the classes that implement the extension and all the classes
they depend on in the jre/lib/ext directory. But this means having some
classes in multiple locations.

RE: Iplanet and extension functions

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
Be sure that you're using a recent copy of XalanJ.  Recent copies all
load extensions using the current threads ContextClassLoader which is
obtained via a call to Thread.getContextClassLoader().  You need to
check with the iPlanet people to make sure that the ContextClassLoader
is set for the current thread to contain a reference to the ClassLoader
that is used to load stuff from the WEB-INF location.  The default for
this is the ClassLoader of the parent thread which may not be what you
want.  Their tech support should know if you ask this specific question.

It sounds like XalanJ itself should be in the CLASSPATH that is set
according to this page:
http://docs.iplanet.com/docs/manuals/ias/60/sp3/admin/adsetdev.htm#16630
.

Please post your results here and be specific as to the SP level of your
iAS6.0 installation as it looks like this changed in SP3.  That way, it
will be in our archives for others to peruse.

Gary

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.