Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "N S, Shridhar" <sh...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/28 10:48:30 UTC

How to set the admin console for 5.5.x

Hi All,

I am having trouble setting up the admin console for Apache Tomcat/5.5.12. I
have downloaded the "apache-tomcat-5.5.12-admin.zip" file from Tomcat site.
Unzipped it and placed the "admin" folder under "C:\Tomcat55\server\webapps"
folder. When I try the below page:
http://localhost/admin/

I get the admin log in page. I enter "admin" and "admin" as
username/password as defined in "tomcat-users.xml" file. Next page displays:
Tomcat's administration web application is no longer installed by default.
Download and install the "admin" package to use it.

Any hepl is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Shridhar

Re: How to set the admin console for 5.5.x

Posted by "N S, Shridhar" <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dhaval,

I found the reason why it was not working! When we install Tomcat 5.5.X,
there is a folder by name "*admin*" under $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/.
While experimenting, I had removed this folder. Hence, I reinstalled Tomcat,
then did the following steps to get the admin console working:
a. Installed Tomcat 5.5.12
b. Placed "admin" folder from the "apache-tomcat-5.5.12-admin.zip" under:
*$CATALINA_HOME\server\webapps*
c. Placed the "admin.xml" file under:
*$CATALINA_HOME\conf\Catalina\localhost*
d. Made sure there is a user by name "admin" in the "tomcat-users.xml" file
with following details:
*<user username="admin" password="admin" roles="admin,manager"/>*
I had followed all these steps, except that the "admin" folder under ROOT
was missing! Since, this is not documented in Tomcat documents, thought of
sharing the exact steps.

Thanks much for the responses.

Regards,
Shridhar