Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/03/04 14:56:33 UTC

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 3)

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 22:32 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,

Hi Roland

> > What is the web server supposed to do with the following request
> >
> > GET .. HTTP/1.1
>
> What browser would send this kind of request? All browsers will
> resolve relative links before sending the request. And if an
> HttpClient application would send such a request, we'd tell the
> developer to resolve the link in the application :-)

So be it. I seriously doubt browsers can resolve relative links, but if
they transform the request URI into something like
http://whatever/project/module/.. that should basically do the trick

> I like the new web site. Just a few typos I noticed:
>
> Project Charter
> - Rationale: a number _of_ limitations
> - Project Scope: additional_ly_ charged
>
> Project Goals
> - Componentized design: "affecting" instead of "effecting"
>
> News
> - "preoject"
>
> HttpCore Examples
> - "dempnstrates" x2

Fixed. Good catch.

> I'm not happy with the last sentence of "Minimal external dependencies"
> in the project goals. It sounds as if they only cause trouble without
> providing any benefit in terms of functionality. Maybe replace "only"
> with "significantly"?
> I'll probably start a design discussion on logging this weekend. But
> not now, it's getting late tonight :-)

I rephrased this section a little, please let me know if you like it
better

The updated preview of the site can be found here

http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/

Please do not be shy and add stuff if you think something is missing

Oleg

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> I seriously doubt browsers can resolve relative links,

They have to, that's specified by HTML:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#h-6.4
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.1.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#resolving-relative-uris

I've been using relative links in local HTML pages for quite a while.
They work as expected, whether I access the pages via file:/// from
Windows, via file:/// from Linux, or via an HTTP server.

> I rephrased this section a little, please let me know if you like it
> better

Yepp, better. I am still wondering whether the complaints about the
libraries, in particular commons-logging, came from people who had
a lot of other libraries to integrate, or rather from people who had
few other libraries and didn't like to have to learn how to integrate
anything at all. I would have expected that a lot of dependencies
gives them integration practice, so that another library or two don't
matter much.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 3)

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi all,

shouldn't we link the httpclient wiki from the HttpComponents web page?
Or will there be a different wiki? Or maybe I just missed the link.

cheers,
  Roland