Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Da...@rnib.org.uk on 2004/08/23 13:30:12 UTC

new user, querying functionality? commons-fileupload

I'm trying to find out if commons-fileupload does what I think...
Please note I'm very much a newbie in this field. I've created
one tiny app using tomcat, and my java skills are very modest.

My needs:
Outline: A production archive application, either
a)A client uploads a small number of files to the server.
b)A client searches the archive metadata for a file(s), then
  downloads.

Detail: Webpage (tomcat).
User logs in, and is checked out (mysql).
User enters required metadata, then selects files.

Action required is for the client to transfer a number of
files up to the server, which will then store them away .

1. Does this package do the 'file chooser' task, whereby the client
selects the file list for upload? Or is jscript needed for this?
2. The documentation seems clear on handling the files once
on the server.
3. The files uploaded could collectively be up to a couple of megs,
which seems boundary condition from what I've read so far.
Is there any special processing/configuration needed to handle this?
4. Since rfc1867 impacts HTML attributes, what level of
support/rejection can I expect in windows browsers /
is any support needed? More generally, are there
any problems in this area?
5. Are there any security implications of picking files on a user machine?

Any help appreciated.

Regards DaveP.
www.rnib.org.uk

**** snip here *****

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.

those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

Re: [FileUpload] new user, querying functionality? commons-fileupload

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:30:12 +0100, david.pawson@rnib.org.uk
<da...@rnib.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm trying to find out if commons-fileupload does what I think...
> Please note I'm very much a newbie in this field. I've created
> one tiny app using tomcat, and my java skills are very modest.
>
> My needs:
> Outline: A production archive application, either
> a)A client uploads a small number of files to the server.
> b)A client searches the archive metadata for a file(s), then
>  downloads.
>
> Detail: Webpage (tomcat).
> User logs in, and is checked out (mysql).
> User enters required metadata, then selects files.
>
> Action required is for the client to transfer a number of
> files up to the server, which will then store them away .
>
> 1. Does this package do the 'file chooser' task, whereby the client
> selects the file list for upload? Or is jscript needed for this?

Neither. Your browser takes care of this.

> 2. The documentation seems clear on handling the files once
> on the server.

Good! :-)

> 3. The files uploaded could collectively be up to a couple of megs,
> which seems boundary condition from what I've read so far.
> Is there any special processing/configuration needed to handle this?

The limits are configurable. See the User Guide on the FileUpload web
site for how to control this.

> 4. Since rfc1867 impacts HTML attributes, what level of
> support/rejection can I expect in windows browsers /
> is any support needed? More generally, are there
> any problems in this area?

Any even remotely modern Windows browser should be able to handle this
without problems. There are known issues with the current version of
FileUpload on specific versions of IE on Mac (which submits forms that
don't conform to the RFC), and with running on zOS (which uses EBCDIC
encoding), but on Windows you should be fine.

> 5. Are there any security implications of picking files on a user machine?

Some browsers will submit the full path and file name when the form is
submitted, while others submit only the base file name. The former has
some security risk associated with it, since it exposes the disk
structure of the client to the server. However, you don't have any
control over what is sent, beyond choosing an appropriate browser in
the first place.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
Hi David,

Given the brief outline of your requirements, personally and just my opinion I would look at Jakarta-Slide or OpenCMS. I believe both could fulfill your requirements; although its been 2 years since I evaluated OpenCMS (hopefully my memory isn't failing me on there's document management and search features in addition to the "in-the-browser" editor.) I know Slide has the features, slide-user mailing list is an excellent resource to find out more.

Back to your original question regarding FileUpload (caveat - I don't work on FileUpload - just trying to help with what I know of it.) FileUpload is server component to efficiently handle the base64 encoded stream the application server receives in a multipart/form-data http post. AFAIK there's no client part; the most common use case is to have a html form tag and onen or more input of type file:

<form name="myForm" action="" ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" method="post">
<input type="file" name="myFile" size="25" value="">

I think if your looking for more advanced FileDialog than what you get with html's input type=file; then you would look at signed applets or ActiveX controls. I used to use this one http://www.infomentum.com/appletfile/ with Coldfusion 4.5 application server, but I'd imagine tomcat works as well. There are a bunch of these out there; maybe sf.net has open source open licensed one(s)?

HTH,
TR

One last note; the commons mailing list protocol is to prefix the email subject with the component name as I've done here.