Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "L. Mark Pilant" <Ma...@Sun.COM> on 2008/02/14 20:50:17 UTC

Vendor drops, svn_load_dirs.pl, and eol-type

Greetings.

I'm getting bit by an "anomaly" trying to correctly handle vendor
drops.

The problem is the repository from which I am obtaining the vendor
code has several files with the svn:eol-style set to "native".  I
would like to keep this property for the files as they exist in
my repository.

However, when I do an export to pick up the vendor code, knowledge
of this property is lost.  Thus when I use svn_load_dirs.pl to add
this new drop to my repository svn:eol-style is the default (not
set to anything) which causes builds to work or fail depending on
whether the builds are being done on *nix or Windows.  If it were
only *nix or Windows there wouldn't be a problem; but I need to be
able to support multiple platforms.

There are thousands of files I need to bring over, so even writing
a script to look at each file from the vendor's repository and set
the property correctly on my repository is not very appealing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

RE: Vendor drops, svn_load_dirs.pl, and eol-type

Posted by "L. Mark Pilant" <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
Hi John.

> SVK works very well at mirroring remote SVN repositories actually.  It
> also has much better support for importing vendor drops, if you don't
> have access to the vendor's own repo:
>
>     http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/SingleUserSVK

I finally got SVK to mirror the repository I was interested in.  However,
I just checked, and it had a problem which will cause be a lot of grief.

The properties of the files in the source repository are not carries over
to the created mirror.  (BTW, this was the same problem I encountered with
the svn_load_dirs.pl script.)  In particular, the eol-type is not set to be
native on the mirrored files as it is in the source repository.

I'm going to post this observation to the SVK Users list to see if there
are any suggestions.

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
L. Mark Pilant wrote:
> It looks like SVK might work, but it would depend on whether
> it is a jacket for SVN commands (ala Piston) or an interface
> to SVN at a lower level.  If it is the latter, it could work.

SVK works very well at mirroring remote SVN repositories actually.  It
also has much better support for importing vendor drops, if you don't
have access to the vendor's own repo:

	http://svk.bestpractical.com/view/SingleUserSVK

John

RE: Vendor drops, svn_load_dirs.pl, and eol-type

Posted by "L. Mark Pilant" <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Blair.

> svn_load_dirs.pl wasn't designed to mirror a checkout from
> another repository.

Actually, I'm not trying to do that.  What I am trying to do
is to use svn export and svn_load_dirs to "mirror" the contents
of the vendor repository.  I don't need all the log information.
When I do the export, it is to a directory which contains the
desired vendor revision as part of its name.  So when the Perl
script runs, the commit message has the directory and also the
revision number.

I guess what I'm really trying to do is to mirror a remote
repository.  Including the various file properties.

> You can try the piston tool if you are mirroring a remote svn
> repository in your own.

I just took a look, and it seems it will not solve my problem.

The problem I am have is the svn export gets everything to the
local system using the local host eol style.  So far, so good.
However, when the file is added to the local repository, it will
have the default eol-style.  This is the problem.

When a user on a different platform checks out the vendor code
to do a reference build, it will work as long as the platform
used the same eol-style as the platform used for the export/add.
If it does not, the reference build fails.  For example, the
export/add is done on a Windows system and the reference build
is done on a Linux system.  The Linux build fails.

It looks like SVK might work, but it would depend on whether
it is a jacket for SVN commands (ala Piston) or an interface
to SVN at a lower level.  If it is the latter, it could work.

BTW, I have used ClearCase, Perforce, CVS, and several home
grown source control systems so I am familiar with the concepts.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

http://piston.rubyforge.org/

svn_load_dirs.pl wasn't designed to mirror a checkout from another
repository.

Regards,
Blair

--