Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by apache <sb...@apache.org> on 2016/05/26 19:26:55 UTC

Notes from ApacheCon NA 2016

Hello,

Earlier this month I went to ApacheCon NA 2016. It was a great experience and I highly recommend you consider going to ApacheCon if you’ve never been.

I gave two talks. The first to a small group titled ’Generating many resources from one set of schemas’. I went into detail about the work taking place in STREAMS–389 and STREAMS–398 to bring generation of java source files, scala source files, and resource files that can configure hive, pig, and cassandra to work with JSON datasets acquired from streams providers.

That presentation is hosted if you’d like to browse through it. The tl;dr is that generating intergration boilerplate from schemas is very do-able and I think it can be a key aspect of our project’s value proposition and help us drive adoption.

http://sblackmon-apache-org.herokuapp.com/apacheconna2016-schemas.html

The second talk was to a much larger group, almost everyone there for the Big Data portion of the conference. The session was fashioned after Shark Tank and my role was to pitch Apache Streams to a panel of judges.

I’ve pulled those notes into a blog post and put it up at http://blogs.apache.org/streams

In other news, there was a noticeable spike in traffic to the new website during the conference, and there’s been light steady traffic since - see attached PDF if you are interested.

Please shoot a note to me or to the list if you have questions, comments, or suggestions regarding this material.

——

Steve Blackmon sblackmon@apache.org