Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Daniel Bloomfield Ramagem <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/23 20:42:59 UTC

Disabling Indexing in Jackrabbit

I'm a little confused about indexing in Jackrabbit.  Indexing is only useful
if I want to be able to perform searches of the *contents* of the nodes in
the repository, right?  Will not having an index still allow XPath queries?

I have a Jackrabbit repository set up that I want to use as a virtual file
system.  So I have a bunch of nt:file and nt:folder node types.  I don't
care about searching inside the contents of the files stored in the nt:file
node (via "jcr:data").

According to http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/config.html the <SearchIndex>
element of the repository.xml is optional and if omitted the workspace is
not searchable.  I've commented out this section in my configuration but
then I get a RepositoryException "no search manager configured for this
workspace".

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Re: Disabling Indexing in Jackrabbit

Posted by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com>.
hi daniel,
the search manager is also used for xpath queries.
regards, toby

On 1/23/07, Daniel Bloomfield Ramagem <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a little confused about indexing in Jackrabbit.  Indexing is only useful
> if I want to be able to perform searches of the *contents* of the nodes in
> the repository, right?  Will not having an index still allow XPath queries?
>
> I have a Jackrabbit repository set up that I want to use as a virtual file
> system.  So I have a bunch of nt:file and nt:folder node types.  I don't
> care about searching inside the contents of the files stored in the nt:file
> node (via "jcr:data").
>
> According to http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/config.html the <SearchIndex>
> element of the repository.xml is optional and if omitted the workspace is
> not searchable.  I've commented out this section in my configuration but
> then I get a RepositoryException "no search manager configured for this
> workspace".
>
> Can anyone clarify this for me?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel.

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97

Re: Disabling Indexing in Jackrabbit

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Daniel Bloomfield Ramagem wrote:
> I'm a little confused about indexing in Jackrabbit.  Indexing is only
> useful
> if I want to be able to perform searches of the *contents* of the nodes in
> the repository, right?  Will not having an index still allow XPath queries?

indexing covers both fulltext indexing as well as indexing of basic property
types like string, long, date, etc. what kind of resources are fulltext indexed
is configurable.

> I have a Jackrabbit repository set up that I want to use as a virtual file
> system.  So I have a bunch of nt:file and nt:folder node types.  I don't
> care about searching inside the contents of the files stored in the nt:file
> node (via "jcr:data").
>
> According to http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/config.html the <SearchIndex>
> element of the repository.xml is optional and if omitted the workspace is
> not searchable.  I've commented out this section in my configuration but
> then I get a RepositoryException "no search manager configured for this
> workspace".

this means you disabled the search manager entirely. a call to
Workspace.getQueryManager() will then throw the exception you mentioned.

If you are not interested in fulltext indexing nt:resource nodes you should
actually be fine with the default configuration. only if you want to index
certain document types like pdf you need to add configuration parameters to the
searchindex tag. See:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/tags/1.2.1/jackrabbit-index-filters/README.txt

regards
  marcel