Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> on 2012/11/17 12:03:18 UTC

Website update for 0.4.0 (incubating)

Hi,

I have updated the staging site [1] with new apidocs and download
links. If that's OK for everyone I'll publish the site on Sunday
morning (some European time). That should be enough waiting time
for mirrors.

BTW: Do we need to post some sort of announcement? If yes, to which
list? crunch-user?

Thanks,
  Matthias

[1] http://crunch.staging.apache.org/crunch/

Re: Website update for 0.4.0 (incubating)

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
On Sunday, 2012-11-18, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:

[...]
>> BTW: Do we need to post some sort of announcement? If yes, to which
>> list? crunch-user?

> Well, there should be an announcement on the general@i.a.o also
> consider CCing general@hadoop.a.o

I guess I'll send mail to crunch-user and the incubator list tomorrow
when our Getting Started document is live.

Regards,
  Matthias

Re: Website update for 0.4.0 (incubating)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have updated the staging site [1] with new apidocs and download
> links. If that's OK for everyone I'll publish the site on Sunday
> morning (some European time). That should be enough waiting time
> for mirrors.

Looks nice.

> BTW: Do we need to post some sort of announcement? If yes, to which
> list? crunch-user?

Well, there should be an announcement on the general@i.a.o also
consider CCing general@hadoop.a.o

Also, since Crunch is going to be in Bigtop 0.5.0 there will be an
announcement over there at some point.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Website update for 0.4.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday, 2012-11-17, Gabriel Reid wrote:
>> On 17 Nov 2012, at 12:03, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:

 [...]

>> On a somewhat related note, would it be interesting/useful to have a
>> Twitter account for Crunch, to have an additional channel to post
>> information about releases, etc? Anyone in favor of or against that
>> idea (or is there anything around being in the ASF that prevents
>> it)?
>
> Things are in fact a bit more complicated because we're part of the
> ASF, and even more so because we're in the incubator. See [1] and
> [2] for more information.
>
> Maybe we should wait until our project name has been approved.

Ok, I suspected that there would be something along those lines. I can
totally get waiting until our name is approved.

> Someone
> has to perform the podling name search, but since I've covered at lot
> of boring stuff on the organizational front since I joined the
> project, I'd really like someone else to do this ;-)

I was almost starting to think that you enjoy doing the boring
organizational stuff ;-)

I'd be happy to attempt to reduce the burden of organizational stuff
that you've been doing -- I'll take on the podling name search.

- Gabriel

Re: Website update for 0.4.0 (incubating)

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi,

On Saturday, 2012-11-17, Gabriel Reid wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2012, at 12:03, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:
[...]
>> BTW: Do we need to post some sort of announcement? If yes, to which
>> list? crunch-user?

> I think we should definitely (at least) post to crunch-user, but I'm
> wondering if there isn't some sort of larger list we can post to.
> I've actually been asked several times about how to stay on top of
> new releases of Crunch, and I unfortunately haven't ever been able
> to give a decent answer.

Some incubating projects post to incubator-general, but that's very
rare. We should probably start with crunch-user; once we have
graduated we could either set up our own announcements list or post to
the ASF-wide one.

> On a somewhat related note, would it be interesting/useful to have a
> Twitter account for Crunch, to have an additional channel to post
> information about releases, etc? Anyone in favor of or against that
> idea (or is there anything around being in the ASF that prevents
> it)?

Things are in fact a bit more complicated because we're part of the
ASF, and even more so because we're in the incubator. See [1] and
[2] for more information.

Maybe we should wait until our project name has been approved. Someone

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#announcements
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html

Re: Website update for 0.4.0 (incubating)

Posted by Gabriel Reid <ga...@gmail.com>.
On 17 Nov 2012, at 12:03, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:

> I have updated the staging site [1] with new apidocs and download
> links. If that's OK for everyone I'll publish the site on Sunday
> morning (some European time). That should be enough waiting time
> for mirrors.

Sounds (and looks) good to me.