Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by max <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/24 16:07:09 UTC

Which filesystem are you using?

Hi,

I'm using CouchDB 1.7.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 with ext4 filesystem and it works
great.
But I'm gonna migrate my data to a bigger server and I'd like to find some
advice about filesystem I should or should not use.

I'll install Ubuntu 16.04, and I need to backup my data (*.couch), I know
CouchDB is tail-append but some of .couch database are close 100 GB and
then was wondering about my next filesystem to store those .couch files.
Which one is better faster stronger? Which one cannot (should not) be used?
I was thinking about zfs, xfs, btrfs...

Any advice?

Thanks.

Max.

Re: Which filesystem are you using?

Posted by Assaf <as...@gmail.com>.
I've had performance issues with EXT4 on ubuntu 16.04 with ~4TB of DBs.
Now I'm using XFS on ubuntu 16.04 and have no issues with ~12TB of DBs. I'm
using CouchDB 2.0.

Here are some insights I learned over time -
https://github.com/assafmo/couchdb-linux-performance

Posted by Sean Lang <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by max <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Lang <sl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Sorry, I should have qualified - I recommend ZFS on *BSD and Solaris derivatives, and xfs on Linuxes. Performance is a concern on Linux, yes. I personally also don't buy Shuttleworth's argument that ZFS on Linux doesn't taint the kernel. But that's a discussion for a different forum... :)

-Joan

Posted by max <ma...@gmail.com>.