Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Brad Whitaker <br...@agilemark.com> on 2008/07/31 18:11:04 UTC

jsecurity-user: is it possible to force a discard a "remember me" cookie?

Is it possible to force JSecurity to "forget" a subject that has
previously been remembered?

This is an issue for me only in "development" mode and shouldn't occur
in a production environment. The problem is that I often start a
development session with an empty user database but the browser comes to
the site with a cookie. I end up getting a Principal that I don't know.
I would like to discard the cookie at this point. Is this possible? Or
is there a better way to deal with this issue (other than clearing the
cache on the browser)?

Thanks,

Brad

Re: jsecurity-user: is it possible to force a discard a "remember me" cookie?

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Agreed - moving to new thread.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Does HTTP allow this?
>
> Can you call HttpSession.invalidate() and then immediately call
> HttpServletRequest.getSession(true) and get a new session?
>
> If not, we'd have difficulty implementing this since in an HTTP environment
> we replicate those calls to the session.  This sounds worthy of a separate
> thread though if we're going to continue this discussion.
>
> Jeremy
>

> On Jul 31, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Les Hazlewood wrote:
>
>  I think it might be more 'correct' to do this in JSecurity via
>> subject.getSession().stop() method instead.  If in an HTTP environment,
>> HttpSession.invalidate() will be called on your behalf.  If not using HTTP
>> container sessions (for whatever reason), it also does the appropriate
>> invalidation on the underlying implementation.
>>
>> But this surfaces an interesting question for the development team:
>>
>> If someone calls subject.getSession().stop(), should they be able to then
>> immediately call subject.getSession() and have it return a brand new
>> session?
>>
>> Currently that doesn't happen.  Any calls on that returned session would
>> throw an InvalidSessionException.  Going back to the desire to prevent
>> these
>> exceptions from occurring when possible, isn't it a good idea to create a
>> new one?
>>
>> I can't think of any reasons at the moment to not allow a new session to
>> be
>> created as described.  I like the idea of making this possible.  What do
>> you
>> guys think?
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>>
>>  Well, the way JSecurity works an explicit logout removes the "remember
>>> me"
>>> cookie.  A session timeout will of course not remove the remember me

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Does HTTP allow this?

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hi Brad,

No worries - I didn't feel like it was 'noise' at all.  It is always good to
brainstorm and think of better ways to support different behaviors.  Some
work and are added, some don't make it.  It is a valuable thing for a
community, so thanks for your feedback :)

Cheers,

Les

Posted by Brad Whitaker <br...@agilemark.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Brad,

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.
Hi Brad,

Posted by Brad Whitaker <br...@agilemark.com>.

Posted by Brad Whitaker <br...@agilemark.com>.

Posted by Les Hazlewood <le...@hazlewood.com>.

Posted by Brad Whitaker <br...@agilemark.com>.
That sounds like it will work for me -- thanks!

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.

Posted by Brad Whitaker <br...@agilemark.com>.

Posted by Jeremy Haile <jh...@fastmail.fm>.
Hey Brad,