Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com> on 2012/10/01 19:34:42 UTC

Switching master to version 4.1.0

Heya all,

With the 4.0.0 branch ready for the final stages toward the release I think it's time to up the version number of the master branch. If there are no objections I will go ahead and change the version number of master to 4.1.0.

I think for the future this should happen directly after we make a branch for a release so it is very clear what versions people are working on and prevents mismatches from happening when people are working on both the branch and the master at the same time. We don't want somebody pulling in a dependency from that master branch into the release compile just because it compiled more recently ;-)

Cheers,

Hugo

RE: Switching master to version 4.1.0

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
I've also added this page [1] to keep track of features that will be in 4.1.0.  Please use that to submit your features and specs, etc.

--Alex

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Next+Release

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Hugo Trippaers <HT...@schubergphilis.com>.
Hey Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Few comments.

It would be good to get your roadmap, Git branching/merging, and version
number policy documented.

At Apache CouchDB, we're attempting to do something along those lines with
these:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Roadmap_Process

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Merge_Procedure

immediately after each release, features are merged in once they're ready,
along with tests, docs, etc, etc. Simplifies the eventual process of
cutting a release.)

We're still working it out though, so it's just a data point.

As for when to bump to 5.0. Do that whenever you introduce breaking
changes. Preferably along with the commit. (That is, major revisions, IMO
should be tied to breaking changes, not marketing efforts.)

cf. http://semver.org/

--
NS