Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Wim Godden <wi...@godden.net> on 2002/02/15 16:12:12 UTC

Tricky reverse proxy problem

Hi,

I've got a tricky problem : one of our websites is putting a very high
load on our webserver, so we want to move it to a seperate system. But
since we can't change the IP address, we have to use reverse proxying on
the main server. The site runs fine on the 2nd server, but I can't get
reverse proxying to work.
It should be as easy as :
<VirtualHost *>
servername www.oursite.be
proxypass / http://10.0.0.99/
proxypassreverse / http://10.0.0.99/
</VirtualHost>

The servername of our main server is notfound.godden.net and we have :
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>
        DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
        ServerName notfound.godden.net
        ServerPath /usr/local/apache/htdocs
        Options All
</VirtualHost>

When I use the above configuration and surf to www.oursite.be, I simply
end up at notfound.godden.net, instead of being redirected...

Any ideas ?

Kind greetings,

Wim Godden

RE: Tricky reverse proxy problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Wim Godden [mailto:wim@godden.net]

> <VirtualHost *>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>

It is very likely a mistake to mix the "*" and IP address version of the
VirtualHost / NameVirtualHost directive, especially if you only have a
single IP address.

Joshua.