Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Se...@fujitsu-siemens.com on 2005/06/14 09:47:01 UTC

Old svn:log propertie values under version control?

If I allow in pre-revprop-change to modify the svn:log revision property
but store the old value in a file before, does it make sense to put that
file under version control and commit it automatically in
post-revprop-change?  The idea is that someone who accidentally changed
the svn:log property of the wrong revision gets access to the file
collecting the old values from his working copy so that he can clean up
the mess.

- Servatius

Re: Old svn:log propertie values under version control?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 14.06.2005, at 11:47, Servatius Brandt wrote:

> If I allow in pre-revprop-change to modify the svn:log revision
> property
> but store the old value in a file before, does it make sense to put
> that
> file under version control and commit it automatically in
> post-revprop-change?  The idea is that someone who accidentally
> changed
> the svn:log property of the wrong revision gets access to the file
> collecting the old values from his working copy so that he can
> clean up
> the mess.

I think what people usually do is to write a post-revprop-change hook
that sends an email (or updates an RSS feed or whatever) so that
developers are informed about changes, so that on the off chance that
a mistake is made, it can be corrected. I think creating a new
revision as a result of modifying a property on a previous revision
kind of defeats the purpose, or at the least is odd.