Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Anthony Bull <an...@bcsoft.co.nz> on 2007/12/11 21:26:56 UTC

NIO HTTP Transport

Hi,

is there any reason that the NIO transports are commented out in the
Axis 2 default axis2.xml config file?

I have been running a separate axis 2 with Synapse in it as an ESB
(which proxies a separate Axis2/Tomcat on another server) and the
Synapse distribution came with an axis2.xml with these enabled - and
this seems to be working fine.

1. Is there much of a performance enhancement if I switch my proxied
axis 2 to using the NIO libraries?
2. Are there any negative implications of doing so?

cheers,
Ants.

--

Anthony
-------------------------------------

anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
Ph  +64 4 472 8818
Fax +64 4 472 8811
-------------------------------------
www.bcsoft.co.nz
This email may contain confidential or privileged information,
and is intended for use only by the addressee, or addressees.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender
immediately and do not copy, use or disclose the contents to
any other person or organisation.
Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses
received with this email, or to any changes made to the original
content. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be
personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black
Coffee Software Ltd.

Re: NIO HTTP Transport

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Anthony

Also the NIO transport was designed to be run in a long-running server
environment where its ok to start threads. The default Axis2 client was
designed to be run in a blocking way with no new threads started. Also the
NIO HTTP client is new-ish, so conservatism (i.e. don't break people's
existing code!) is why its not the default.

You should be fine tho.

Paul

On Dec 12, 2007 9:52 AM, Michele Mazzucco <Mi...@ncl.ac.uk>
wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2007, at 20:26, Anthony Bull wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any reason that the NIO transports are commented out in
> > the Axis 2 default axis2.xml config file?
> > I have been running a separate axis 2 with Synapse in it as an ESB
> > (which proxies a separate Axis2/Tomcat on another server) and the
> > Synapse distribution came with an axis2.xml with these enabled -
> > and this seems to be working fine.
> >
> > 1. Is there much of a performance enhancement if I switch my
> > proxied axis 2 to using the NIO libraries?
> > 2. Are there any negative implications of doing so?
> >
> Anthony,
>
> while to load is low the default version (i.e. thread per connection)
> outperforms the NIO one, but when there are a lot of concurrent
> requests the NIO version is better - and scales more [1].
>

> Michele
>
> [1] http://blog.covalent.net/roller/covalent/entry/20070308
>
> > cheers,
> > Ants.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Anthony
> > ------------------------------------- Anthony Bull
> > Senior Developer
> > Black Coffee Software Ltd
> > PO Box 10-192 The Terrace
> > Wellington, New Zealand
> > anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
> > Ph  +64 4 472 8818
> > Fax +64 4 472 8811
> > ------------------------------------- www.bcsoft.co.nz
> > This email may contain confidential or privileged information, and
> > is intended for use only by the addressee, or addressees. If you
> > are not the intended recipient please advise the sender immediately
> > and do not copy, use or disclose the contents to any other person
> > or organisation.
> > Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses
> > received with this email, or to any changes made to the original
> > content. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be
> > personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black
> > Coffee Software Ltd.

Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org