Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2008/06/23 10:54:30 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2 + perl UTF-8 problem

Hi.

Platform : SunOS 5.8 (Solaris 8)
Apache : Apache/2.0.52

I am testing an html form, which POST's to a cgi-bin script.
I would like to see what the form (aka browser) is posting, before the
cgi-bin script gets it.

I have configured Apache with VirtualHost's, and with the following
run-time directives in the corresponding virtual host section :
ScriptLog /var/something/log/scripts.log
ScriptLogBuffer 32765
(the real POST is very small)

The ScriptLog directory is writeable by the userid/group under which
Apache is running, but the log is not created.  If I create an empty
logfile in advance with proper user and permission, the logfile stays
desperately empty.
There are no errors visible when restarting Apache, nor in the error log.

Anyone has an idea why this log does not show up ?

I seem to remember doing this previously (on other systems), and getting
the script logfile without problem, but here it doesn't seem to work.
Am I forgetting something ?

The cgi-bin script itself does not crash, it exits normally after
processing. Is that the problem ? or should the logfile be created anyway ?

Alternatively, is there another method available with Apache 2, to dump
the contents of a POST at the earliest possible stage ?
It needs to be  early, because I would like to see how the various form
input fields are sent, in particular their charset settings.

Thanks in advance,
André

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2 + perl UTF-8 problem

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Krist, thanks for the answer.

Krist van Besien wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:54, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>> Anyone has an idea why this log does not show up ?
>
> Scriptlog only logs errors. If your script doesn't cause any errors
> nothing is logged.

That's what I wasn't sure of.
Might be worth an addition in the corresponding Apache documentation, if
anyone knows where to suggest that.

>> Alternatively, is there another method available with Apache 2, to dump the
>> contents of a POST at the earliest possible stage ?
>> It needs to be  early, because I would like to see how the various form
>> input fields are sent, in particular their charset settings.
>
> A good way to debug such things is Firebug. you can see the content of
> the "POST" there.

Unfortunately, in my case probably not. From the name, I guess this is
an add-on for Firefox.  But my POSTs, in this case, are made directly
from a Java applet running inside the html page.  The browser thus
doesn't see them.
I would need something at the Apache level.

It seems that I could write a filter, but if one exists already, I'd
rather use it.

Posted by Krist van Besien <kr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:54, André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Anyone has an idea why this log does not show up ?

Scriptlog only logs errors. If your script doesn't cause any errors
nothing is logged.

> Alternatively, is there another method available with Apache 2, to dump the
> contents of a POST at the earliest possible stage ?
> It needs to be  early, because I would like to see how the various form
> input fields are sent, in particular their charset settings.

A good way to debug such things is Firebug. you can see the content of
the "POST" there.

Krist

--
krist.vanbesien@gmail.com