Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org> on 2021/01/25 21:21:19 UTC

Protobuf update?

Just a quick question. What's the status of HADOOP-13363
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13363>? I thought the
protobuf update was completed in 3.3.0 but looks like it was still blocked
by HADOOP-16593 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16593>. Is it
almost done, or is it in a branch?

Thanks,
Weichiu

Re: Protobuf update?

Posted by David <da...@gmail.com>.
Hey Wei-Chiu,

I hope you are well.

Interesting timing on this question.   I just filed this a few minutes ago.

What is the benefit of moving to PB 3?  PB 2 is not deprecated or anything
and they are not completely backwards compatible.  I question the value of
making this kind of change in an otherwise stable product.  Perhaps that
kind of thing can be introduced into HDFS 4.x.

Thanks.