Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by gmparker2000 <gr...@brovada.com> on 2013/02/06 21:34:31 UTC

Separate Development and Design

One of the great features of wicket is the ability to allow a developer to
focus on the Java behind the pages while a designer can work on the
HTML/CSS.  The object oriented nature of a wicket page complicates this
somewhat.  Our pages are broken up into many panels each with their own code
and HTML.  The designer in this case doesn't get an overall view of the page
but rather focuses on the pieces.  This is fine; however, we have gone one
step further and created quite a few composite controls (i.e. text field
with label, input, error indicator, hint, etc).  These controls let us write
a lot less HTML which makes things more maintainable and consistent.
However, the downside is that the designer can't see them outside of a
running wicket application.  Is anyone else doing this?  If so, has anyone
put in place a strategy to allow for composite controls while still still
allowing a designer to focus HTML/CSS?  We have been thinking about perhaps
creating a preprocessor that would expand our composite controls at design
time to allow the designer to see the resulting markup.  Any thoughts on how
we might accomplish this?   We are using Wicket 1.4.

Re: Separate Development and Design

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

In my jobs we have used a demo page for our custom components.
This page(s) are used :
- by the web designers to see in one place what widgets we have. And to
check how the changes will look like
- by developers - this way the widgets have at least two usages in the
application so the developer feels better that the component can be reused
easily later in yet another place.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM, gmparker2000 <gr...@brovada.com>wrote:

> One of the great features of wicket is the ability to allow a developer to
> focus on the Java behind the pages while a designer can work on the
> HTML/CSS.  The object oriented nature of a wicket page complicates this
> somewhat.  Our pages are broken up into many panels each with their own
> code
> and HTML.  The designer in this case doesn't get an overall view of the
> page
> but rather focuses on the pieces.  This is fine; however, we have gone one
> step further and created quite a few composite controls (i.e. text field
> with label, input, error indicator, hint, etc).  These controls let us
> write
> a lot less HTML which makes things more maintainable and consistent.
> However, the downside is that the designer can't see them outside of a
> running wicket application.  Is anyone else doing this?  If so, has anyone
> put in place a strategy to allow for composite controls while still still
> allowing a designer to focus HTML/CSS?  We have been thinking about perhaps
> creating a preprocessor that would expand our composite controls at design
> time to allow the designer to see the resulting markup.  Any thoughts on
> how
> we might accomplish this?   We are using Wicket 1.4.

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development