Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by ja...@petrobras.com.br on 2003/06/26 02:11:34 UTC

Spurious space between table-header and table header.

I'm getting a unindetified space between my table-headers and their
table-bodies. I managed to make them go away by setting the body
space-before to a negative ammount, but I could not identify the source of
the space. I tried setting margin, padding and spaces to zero in both the
header and the body but the space persisted. It appears only when I define
a border around my header. Anyone noticed something similar? (I'm using
0.20.4)

Marcelo Jaccoud Amaral
mailto:jaccoud [at] petrobras.com.br
voice: +55 21 2534-3485
fax: +55 21 2534-1809

Re: Corner drawing (Was: Spurious space between table-header and table header.)

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 30.06.2003 14:32:30 jaccoud wrote:
> BTW: Jeremias, are the borders realy suposed to look like
> +----------------------------------
> |

> +---+------------------------------
> |   |
> |   |
> |   |

> ?
>
> Shouldn't it be like this:
>
> +----------------------------------
> |\
> | \
> |  \
> |   +------------------------------
> |   |
> |   |
> |   |

> ?

I don't know. There are people around more knowledgable about the XSL-FO
specs who can probably answer that.

> The latter is used by CSS, and I could not find this specific topic in the
> FO spec.

Neither could I. But XSL-FO often refers to CSS. So maybe you're right.

> Is this a PDF limitation? I becomes important for thick borders of
> different colors, when trying to simulate a 3d-effect. ( or 3-deffect :-)

Not a PDF limitation. More an implementation detail. Something that
eventually needs to be fixed, maybe.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Spurious space between table-header and table header.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 26.06.2003 21:36:39 jaccoud wrote:
> Yes, it helps, and it probably will correct another problem I'm getting: if
> you noticed, the top and bottom borders are slightly narrower then the side
> lines. Can't also figure why. I believed the top and bottom borders should
> extend until the outter limits of the lateral borders. They end somewhere
> before. Maybe both discrepancies are correlated?

Probably not. From the discussion about two years ago I gather that the
border handling is non-trivial. Border support for table-rows has been
removed after long discussions.

> Curious, I figured the border-width was suspiciously equal to the gap
> height, but only tried changing the bottom border, not the top one. :-P
>
> Is it worth to register a bug?

Yes. It doesn't get lost this way. But unfortunately, that won't
necessarily mean it'll get fixed soon.

> Is this corrected in 20.5? (Cant' use it
> because of another problem.)

No, it's not. Current CVS has this problem.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Newbie tarred and feathered

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
FWIW, I too have seen this problem on download, but I just thought it
was a freak accident (actually, I saw it once on my own PC and again on
my admin's PC). Both times I just renamed the extension, and it worked
(in fact, it gave an alert which said something like, "This tar consists
solely of another tar file. Would you like to decompress that tar file
too?" I think this issue should be made into a FAQ. Although it may
not've come up very often, I suspect it will start coming up more often.

Of course, it'd be nice to just fix the problem. Anyone have an idea of
how it occurs, and why it's intermittent?

Web Maestro Clay

--
Clay Leeds - cleeds@medata.com

Re: Newbie tarred and feathered

Posted by Peter Kryszkiewicz <ve...@attcanada.ca>.

Posted by Ben Galbraith <bg...@amirsys.com>.
On occasion, tar files I download have an extra "tar" appended to their
extension.  I am not certain why.  Nevertheless, when this happens, you
may see filenames like:

	*.tar.gz.tar

Rename it to:

	*.tar.gz

Ditto for *.tgz.tar.  I've not ever seen *.tar.tar; it's likely you've
made a typo.  Uncompressed tar files put out for download are rare.

Ben

Posted by George Yi <gy...@srds.com>.
Change your file extension from *.tar.tar to *.tar.gz and try a gain.

George

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

tar is actually a gzip format ( i see this has already been
answered ... )

i would have recommended using WinRAR, which seems to
have no probz with doubled .tar-extension.

cheerz,

ald

Posted by David Hill <da...@mail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be>.

my guess is this has sth to do with inheritance
top or bottom? both get "doubled" by them being defined
in table-header & table-row ( last one implicitly ? )

would try adding them to the row instead & leaving them out
of the table-header ( unless i really needed a header with
multiple rows )

greetz

ald

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I can't reproduce (FOP from branch CVS and 0.20.4). Can you please post
a small example?

On 26.06.2003 02:11:34 jaccoud wrote:
> I'm getting a unindetified space between my table-headers and their
> table-bodies. I managed to make them go away by setting the body
> space-before to a negative ammount, but I could not identify the source of
> the space. I tried setting margin, padding and spaces to zero in both the
> header and the body but the space persisted. It appears only when I define
> a border around my header. Anyone noticed something similar? (I'm using
> 0.20.4)

Jeremias Maerki