Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Neel79 <ne...@in.ibm.com> on 2015/11/20 14:32:13 UTC

Incompatibility between apacke tikka and apache commons email jar

Hi folks
         I am using Apache commons email jar 1.4 and Apache Tikka jar 1.10 .
I see the following error

Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: JVMCFRE003 bad major
version; class=org/apache/tika/detect/Detector, offset=6
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassImpl(Native Method)
	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:74)
	at
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader._defineClass(CompoundClassLoader.java:833)
	at
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.localFindClass(CompoundClassLoader.java:746)
	at com.ibm.ws.c

When I remove the Apache email jar , it runs fine and I dont get the error.
I tried all version combinations of Apache Tikka jar , lower version as well
just incase the higher version jar was build with a higher compiler level.

Still not solved. Do you guys know of any issue between Apache email and
Apache tikka jars regarding compatibility ?

Re: Incompatibility between apacke tikka and apache commons email jar

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015, Neel79 wrote:
> I am using Apache commons email jar 1.4 and Apache Tikka jar 1.10 . I
> see the following error
>
> Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: JVMCFRE003 bad major
> version; class=org/apache/tika/detect/Detector, offset=6

Apache Tika now requires Java 7 or higher. Apache Commons Email only
requires Java 5. From the look of it, your JVM (IBM WebSphere?) doesn't
support Java 7. You'll need to upgrade your JVM to Java 7 + to use recent
versions of Tika

Nick