Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by ss <sh...@ebrary.com> on 2012/11/22 03:24:28 UTC

How to use CloudSolrServer in multi threaded indexing program

I am a newbie to SolrCloud.

I have setup a SolrCloud of n leaders, n replicas and a zookeeper ensemble.
I have a client that uses SolrJ and has access to millions of docs. This
client program runs on a separate machine. Since I want these docs to be
indexed as fast as possible, I would like to spawn multiple threads - each
adding a set of docs to solr cloud. In this scenario, should each thread be
using CloudSolrServer? Since, CloudSolrServer is not thread safe, should
each thread maintain its own instance of CloudSolrServer or they be creating
a new instance of CloudSolrServer for each doc being submitted? Should I be
using ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer instead? But ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer is
attached to a single URL. Should I be passing load balancer URL to
ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer then?

I would like to hear from the Solr gurus out there as how they would design
the indexer/submitter client program for optimal throughput.

Thanks in advance. Happy thanks giving!