Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Sudarsan, Sithu D." <Si...@fda.hhs.gov> on 2009/02/26 17:29:18 UTC

Use of scanned documents for text extraction and indexing

Hi All:

Is there any study / research done on using scanned paper documents as
images (may be PDF), and then use some OCR or other technique for
extracting text, and the resultant index quality?

Thanks in advance,
Sithu D Sudarsan

sithu.sudarsan@fda.hhs.gov
sdsudarsan@ualr.edu

Re: Use of scanned documents for text extraction and indexing

Posted by Bastian Buch <mr...@gmx.de>.
You can use Tesseract, an openSource OCR Engine owned from Google. Its
native C Code and to use it in Java you should use JNI or direct process
creation. There is no PDF support, but you can use imagemagick to
convert those docs on the fly. The engine scan documents line by line
without trying to resolve "text-boxes", which is a problem with
1-n-column texts. But with some image preprocessing you can also solve this.

Cheers Bastian.

http://bastian-buch.de

Posted by Bastian Buch <mr...@gmx.de>.

Posted by "Sudarsan, Sithu D." <Si...@fda.hhs.gov>.

Thanks to all who have responded (Hanners, Shashi, Vikram, Bastian,
Renaud and the rest).

Using OCRopus might provide the flexibility to use multi-column
documents and formatted ones.

Regarding literature on OCR, few follow up of the paper link provided
Renaud do exist, but could not locate anything significant.

I'll update if I can find something useful to report.

Sincerely,
Sithu
sithu.sudarsan@fda.hhs.gov
sdsudarsan@ualr.edu