Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Bjorn Townsend <bj...@sourcelabs.com> on 2007/04/13 02:18:47 UTC

Towards an Axis 1.5 Release (Reprised)

All,

I sent out an email on March 30th soliciting responses to a proposed
release plan for an Axis 1.5 release.  I haven't gotten any responses
to it yet (though I did see Dims reference it in response to a user's
question the following week) so I thought I'd respectfully request
your thoughts on the matter once again.  Here's a link to the
proposed release plan once again:

http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis/Axis1%2e5ReleasePlan

Before work on Axis 1.5 can truly begin, we need to get the tests
working. Currently, the Axis 1.4 and Axis 1.x trunk test suites
cannot be run successfully. I've already put a little work into this,
and opened two new issues in the Axis JIRA to track the problems:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2649 (Tests throw errors
when run from within an svn working directory) - NOTE: I've attached
a patch with a potential fix in JIRA for this one
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2650 (Tests depending on
the services hosted at soapinterop.java.sun.com cannot run)

Obviously the second problem is by far the greater one -- it's due to
the fact that the soapinterop.java.sun.com host is no longer
responding, so the services that the tests depended on cannot be
accessed.  I'm hoping to get some input on how best to solve this
problem, and have put forth the options as I see them in the JIRA
issue itself.  I plan to tackle the problem, but I'd really like to
get input on which way to proceed.

I'd also really like to get input on my release plan proposal.  Is
anyone else interested in working on Axis 1.5?

Thanks,
Bjorn

Re: Towards an Axis 1.5 Release (Reprised)

Posted by Bjorn Townsend <bj...@sourcelabs.com>.
Venkat,

That would be great. I'll ping you after May 1st to see if you're
still available. In the meantime I'll work on writing unit tests for
the existing fixes and such.

Thanks,
Bjorn

Posted by Venkat Reddy <vr...@gmail.com>.
Bjorn,

Posted by Doug Davis <du...@us.ibm.com>.
I'll be willing to help. Sorry I missed the first note - it got lost in
the axis2 notes.  As for the failing tests, we should just remove the ones
that don't work due to the remote site being gone. I have them commented
out in my local version and everything else works.  One other thing I'd
love to also do is step up to the latest wsdl4j to add support for soap
1.2 constructs in wsdl.  Right now just one test fails when I test it but
I haven't have time to investigate why.

thanks
-Doug
STSM  |  Web Services Architect  |  IBM Software Group
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM T/L 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

"Tom Jordahl" <tj...@adobe.com>
04/18/2007 03:55 PM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

<ax...@ws.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Towards an Axis 1.5 Release (Reprised)

I am +1 to an Axis 1.5 addressing critical issues (and maybe even not so
critical) in the bug system.

I would recommend adding https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS-2647
to the list.

My product is still on Axis 1.2.1.  The reason is because Axis 1.x has
lost a critical mass of people (myself included) who understand enough
about how it works to really evaluate patches.  We then start taking
'harmless' patches that end up breaking other stuff.  So at this point I
am staying with the bug set I know. :-(

As far as helping out, I am in a long closedown cycle right now, but I
should be able to take a 1.5 beta release and run it through our web
service regression suite sometime early this summer.

--
Tom Jordahl
Adobe

Posted by Bjorn Townsend <bj...@sourcelabs.com>.
Jarek,

Great! It sounds like Venkat might be able to help us do the TCK runs
-- he'll be available after May 1st. I'll keep working on writing
unit tests and send out the occasional update, and coordinate with
the two of you once he's available.

Thanks,
Bjorn

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.