Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by i....@tiscali.it on 2005/11/08 18:06:36 UTC

problem deploying jetspeed2-m4

Hi,

Could you please help with the following error? the .war files in the deploy
directory are not deployed.  I include below part of the catalina.out. the
platform is Redhat ES4, tomacat 5.5.9 java is 1.5, use the internal    HSQLDB.
(all was working till yesterday then I decided to try the oracle connection
and that's when I first encounetered the error. I went back to HSQLDB with
no luck, downloaded the latest source distribution, but still no luck. In
all cases everything seems to go fine with the compilation.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

yannis

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Error registering
bean with name 'PsmlDocumentHandler' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/assembly/page-manager.xml]:
Bean class [org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.CastorFileSystemDocumentHandler]
not found; nested exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.CastorFileSystemDocumentHandler
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.CastorFileSystemDocumentHandler
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1332)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1181)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.BeanDefinitionReaderUtils.createBeanDefinition(BeanDefinitionReaderUtils.java:60)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.parseBeanDefinition(DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.java:306)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.parseBeanDefinition(DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.java:274)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.registerBeanDefinitions(DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.java:186)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.registerBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:175)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.XmlBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlBeanDefinitionReader.java:133)
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.loadBeanDefinitions(AbstractBeanDefinitionReader.java:99)
        at org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlWebApplicationContext.java:114)
        at org.springframework.web.context.support.XmlWebApplicationContext.loadBeanDefinitions(XmlWebApplicationContext.java:82)
        at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractRefreshableApplicationContext.refreshBeanFactory(AbstractRefreshableApplicationContext.java:87)
        at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:262)
        at org.springframework.web.context.support.AbstractRefreshableWebApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractRefreshableWebApplicationContext.java:131)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.components.SpringComponentManager.start(SpringComponentManager.java:217)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.start(JetspeedEngine.java:140)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.init(JetspeedServlet.java:135)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1091)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:925)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3857)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4118)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:759)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:739)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:524)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:589)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:536)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:471)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1102)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:311)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1020)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:718)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1012)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:442)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:450)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:683)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:537)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:271)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:409)
FATAL: Jetspeed: init() failed:
org.apache.jetspeed.exception.JetspeedException: Jetspeed Initialization
exception!
        at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedEngine.start(JetspeedEngine.java:148)
        at org.apache.jetspeed.engine.JetspeedServlet.init(JetspeedServlet.java:135)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1091)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:925)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:3857)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4118)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:409)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException:
Error registering bean with name 'PsmlDocumentHandler' defined in ServletContext
resource [/WEB-INF/assembly/page-manager.xml]: Bean class [org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.CastorFileSystemDocumentHandler]
not found; nested exception is java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.CastorFileSystemDocumentHandler
        at org.springframework.beans.factory.xml.DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.parseBeanDefinition(DefaultXmlBeanDefinitionParser.java:365)
[...]
        ... 27 more
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.jetspeed.page.document.CastorFileSystemDocumentHandler
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1332)
        at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass(WebappClassLoader.java:1181)

TISCALI ADSL
Solo con Tiscali Adsl navighi senza limiti e telefoni senza canone
Telecom a partire da 19,95 Euro/mese.
Attivala subito, I PRIMI DUE MESI SONO GRATIS! CLICCA QUI:
http://abbonati.tiscali.it/adsl/sa/1e25flat_tc/

Re: problem deploying jetspeed2-m4

Posted by i....@tiscali.it.
Aaaron,

thanks very much for all the advice. Myself I do no not know much about maven
except following the instructions on how to built jetspeet, which I suppose
contributes to my confusion on how things work.
I'm away all next week so I'll try your suggestion below once I'm back in
the office.

cheers

yannis

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.
 <i.kanellopoulos <at> tiscali.it> writes:

> But if I want to build a custom portal application which resources do I use?
> the ones I just compiled from source or the ones that are downloaded?

Good question.  There have been some discussions around this. Originally, the
thought was that once there is a J2 final release, the maven plugin method would
be the way to go and developers would add their customizations as described
in the getting started document.

However, because many people have had difficulty with maven and the maven
plugin, it is my understanding that the contributors are rethinking this. Maven
being new to me, I had some difficulties at first, but now I would be quite
happy using the maven plugin to build a custom portal (when the final release
is ready or if M4-snapshot worked).

In the mean time, what I have been doing is just keeping a separate file
structure that mirrors the j2 source structure with my changes. I then have
an ant task that copies them into the source distribution before I build.

I have not updated my source tree since I adopted this method however, so when
I do, I will use the eclipse/svn merge functionality to ensure my changes are
compatible with the latest source.

HTH,
aaron

Re: problem deploying jetspeed2-m4

Posted by i....@tiscali.it.
Aaron,

You are absolutely right! I think I had misunderstood/not read carefully
 the instructions and I was also using the jetspeed source distribution,
and most likely I messed things up.

I did download the latest distibution and build from source this morning
and everything went fine.

But if I want to build a custom portal application which resources do I use?
the ones I just compiled from source or the ones that are downloaded?

thanks for the help

yannis

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.
 <i.kanellopoulos <at> tiscali.it> writes:

> Aaron,
>
> thanks for the reply, I  am not sure I understand though. yesterday when
> I tried the oracle set  up I used the same source (from 9 september) files
> that were working with hsqldb. I did not download the latest source. Initially
> I only changed the build.properties inserting the oracle related settings
> and I recompiled to a different portal name. since this gave the errors I
> changed back to hsqldb settings but it still gave me errors. I was expecting
> this to work as before....

How did you "recompile to a different portal name"? Using the maven goals (ie.
portal.genapp, war:install, j2:quickStart)? If so, then unless you specified the
-o (offline) option, it is very likely that you would have downloaded the latest
M4 snapshot resources.

I built from source within the past week and everything has worked fine.

Re: problem deploying jetspeed2-m4

Posted by i....@tiscali.it.
Aaron,

thanks for the reply, I  am not sure I understand though. yesterday when
I tried the oracle set  up I used the same source (from 9 september) files
that were working with hsqldb. I did not download the latest source. Initially
I only changed the build.properties inserting the oracle related settings
and I recompiled to a different portal name. since this gave the errors I
changed back to hsqldb settings but it still gave me errors. I was expecting
this to work as before....

Following that I cleaned the maven repository, deployed all from tomcat,
downloaded the latest m4,  I used the (hsqldb) build.properties file and
I still got the errors. (In all cases I build a new portal app i.e. not building
from source). I was expecting this clean build to work. what went wrong?
beats me...obviously I am doing something wrong but what? I will try building
from source as you suggest although if I remember well this resulted in errors
back in September when I tried it.

cheers

yannis

Posted by Aaron Evans <aa...@yahoo.ca>.