Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/03 02:57:36 UTC

License question

Hi guys,

I've question regarding licensing.

For a side open source project(PrimeFaces), I needed access to package
private StateWriter class and as a hack I added com.sun.facelets
package to the project. That way I got the access for that class.

Does anyone see a legal issue here?

Btw Facelets is CDDL afaik and PrimeFaces is Apache V2.

Thanks,

Cagatay

Re: License question

Posted by Manfred Geiler <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 15:49, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I've question regarding licensing.
>>
>> For a side open source project(PrimeFaces), I needed access to package
>> private StateWriter class and as a hack I added com.sun.facelets package to
>> the project. That way I got the access for that class.
>>
>> Does anyone see a legal issue here?
>
> no, why ?
> you just fake the package in order to get more "to see"

Hmm. Don't think it's _that_ easy.
For instance the "java." and "javax." namespaces are reserved and must
not be used by any (official) product that does not implement the
regarding JCR.
However. I am not a lawer and I have no idea if that also applies to
"hacks" and I do not know if there is a precendent about using a
foreign reserved domain name as java namespace.
My feeling is, that it is ok for the hack. But I'm not totally sure.
--Manfred

Re: License question

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Cagatay Civici <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've question regarding licensing.
>
> For a side open source project(PrimeFaces), I needed access to package
> private StateWriter class and as a hack I added com.sun.facelets package to
> the project. That way I got the access for that class.
>
> Does anyone see a legal issue here?

no, why ?
you just fake the package in order to get more "to see"

> Btw Facelets is CDDL afaik and PrimeFaces is Apache V2.

jupp, we can base our stuff on it.
In fact Trinidad and Tobago do so (take a look at their *facelets* packages)

-M

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf