Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2007/11/24 06:08:25 UTC

space dot space com messages

I'm seeing a lot of these spammed to my Mailman mailing lists. They
generally consist of a single line with an obfuscated URL and a couple of
blank lines. The URL looks like "abcde . com" (ie. a space on either side
of the dot).

Does anyone have a rule to score these? I don't have Bayes at the MTA
level, just at the delivery level, and since this is a list, there's no
local recipient to score for.

Re: space dot space com messages

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@freenet.de>.
Am 2007-11-23 21:57:13, schrieb Loren Wilton:
> >I'm seeing a lot of these spammed to my Mailman mailing lists. They
> >generally consist of a single line with an obfuscated URL and a couple of
> >blank lines. The URL looks like "abcde . com" (ie. a space on either side
> >of the dot).
>
> If you post one or two somewhere I can write you a simple rule.  I could
> write something from just what you described, but I'd be real concerned
> about the FP rate.  If I see a couple messages I can probably do a little
> better.

Since I use "spamc" from my "procmailrc" I have used a procmail rule to
catch them... Without any FP in the first 1000 messages fom over 23.000.

    :0
    * B ?? \/www .*[ a-zA-Z0-9] (cn|com)$
    .ATTENTION.FLT_dot_space/

    :0
    * > 250000
    .ATTENTION.FLT_oversized/

    :0fw
    * < 250000
    |spamc

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Open Hardware Developer
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Re: space dot space com messages

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Friday, November 23, 2007 10:27 PM -0800 Loren Wilton
<lw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> header __THE_BAT X-Mailer /^The Bat/
> body    __BROKEN_LINK    /^[\w\.\-]{1,25}\s\.com\s*$/
> meta SMALL_MIND    __THE_BAT && __BROKEN_LINK
> score SMALL_MIND    3.5

Linting showed the header needs this:

header __THE_BAT X-Mailer =~ /^The Bat/

With that in place I installed it as /etc/mail/spamassassin/small-mind.cf.

Thanks!

Re: space dot space com messages

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
Oh, you weren't exaggerating about the amount of text in those!  That makes
it pretty easy in theory.  Let's try this (untested):

header __THE_BAT X-Mailer /^The Bat/
body    __BROKEN_LINK    /^[\w\.\-]{1,25}\s\.com\s*$/
meta SMALL_MIND    __THE_BAT && __BROKEN_LINK
score SMALL_MIND    3.5

I think that should be relatively safe, and should hit all these.

        Loren

Re: space dot space com messages

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Friday, November 23, 2007 9:57 PM -0800 Loren Wilton
<lw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> If you post one or two somewhere I can write you a simple rule.  I could
> write something from just what you described, but I'd be real concerned
> about the FP rate.  If I see a couple messages I can probably do a little
> better.

Here's 3 in mbox format. I "forwarded to list admin" from the Mailman web
interface, so the original messages are embedded in a message/rfc822
attachment in each case.

<http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/Stuff/DotSpaceDotExample.txt>

Re: space dot space com messages

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.