Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Waaij, B.D. (Bram) van der" <br...@tno.nl> on 2010/03/23 14:46:11 UTC

Timestamp for versioning?

Hi there,

Is there already support for doing something with the timestamp? I would
like to use it as a versioning mechanism of the value belonging to a
certain key. When i store a column with the same key, different value
and different timestamp, would i still be able to retrieve both
versions?

Looking at the API I can not find such method, but perhaps I am missing
something as I am new to cassandra.

Best regards,
Bram
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/disclaimer/email.html

Re: Timestamp for versioning?

Posted by Erik Holstad <er...@gmail.com>.
If I'm not totally mistaken the timestamp is used for conflict resolution on
the server.

Have a look at:
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/DataModel for more info

--
Regards Erik

RE: Timestamp for versioning?

Posted by "Waaij, B.D. (Bram) van der" <br...@tno.nl>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Waaij, B.D. (Bram) van der" <br...@tno.nl>.
Hi Gary,

The description of that issue says:
"Allow a ColumnFamily to be versioned via vector clocks, instead of long timestamps. Purpose: enable incr/decr; flexible conflict resolution."

That suggests it is already possible using long timestamps. Any idea's on that?

Best regards,
Bram

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
Work is in progress.  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-580