Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2006/01/29 09:35:31 UTC

understanding headers

Hi,

I recently received some mail from yahoo and complainedd about it,
on the assumption that "received with login" means one of their valid customers
was using their mailserver.
Now they rply it is not the case - am I misreading the headers or are they tring to make
a fool of me

Wolfgang Hamann

Re: understanding headers

Posted by mouss <us...@free.fr>.
hamann.w@t-online.de a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I recently received some mail from yahoo and complainedd about it,
> on the assumption that "received with login" means one of their valid customers
> was using their mailserver.

This assumption is invalid and useless. Focus on the hops in the
received headers instead.

[snip]

>>>        by mhead22 with LMTP; Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:09:06 +0100

Now it all depends on whether this header is "trusted" or not. said
otherwise, do you trust 172.20.26.71? (administrative trust, not
compromised, ...). If you trust it, then you can check the next headers.
Otherwise, the next headers may be forged.

This may be the point to make clear with yahoo (after you have clear
args for them).

>>>        with smtp id 1F1mCc-20oHIm0; Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:04:54 +0100

so if you trust 172.20.26.71, then it passed through yahoo network.

# host 206.190.52.175
.... smtp106.biz.mail.re2.yahoo.com
# whois 206.190.52.175
OrgName:    Yahoo! Broadcast Services, Inc.
OrgID:      YAHO
OrgAbuseEmail:  network-abuse@cc.yahoo-inc.com

Re: understanding headers

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
I'm inclined to disbelieve Yahoo. But others might differ. If so I'd LOVE
to hear their analysis. The headers track nicely and it was a Yahoo user
who originated it. Their ISP address is indicated as Yahoo cites. I'd
take it up with charter.com: 66-168-209-11.dhcp.athn.ga.charter.com

{^_^}