Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> on 2006/11/16 20:58:46 UTC

new release policy requires changes on Derby site

The new ASF release policy
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

means that the Derby download page needs to remove two sections,
Nightly Builds and Snapshot Jars

http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html

Dan.

Re: new release policy requires changes on Derby site

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 11/16/06, Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> wrote:
> The new ASF release policy
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>
> means that the Derby download page needs to remove two sections,
> Nightly Builds and Snapshot Jars

I'll take care of this and put the current snapshots in my public_html
if anyone wants them.

On 11/16/06, Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was also wondering if there still exist any need for the section on
> Incubator releases. Can't this be moved to the
> Previous Official Releases ?

Incubator releases are not official Apache releases.

andrew

Re: new release policy requires changes on Derby site

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 11/16/06, Jean T. Anderson <jt...@bristowhill.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm updating the web site links to comply with the "Do not include any
>> links on the project website that might encourage non-developers to
>> download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release candidates, or any
>> other similar package." guideline.
>
> Since you've already the website going, I'll let you take care of that.
>
>> The snapshots need to be moved from the binaries directory of the web
>> site. They are all 10.1 and 10.2 -- are they needed? or can they just be
>> removed?
>
> In case anybody wants them, I copied the current snapshots to:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/snapshots/

ok, I removed the "Nightly Builds" and "Snapshot Jars" sections from the
downloads page, and I removed the snapshots from the binaries directory.
Changes will be visible within the hour.

 -jean

Re: Re: new release policy requires changes on Derby site

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Rajesh Kartha wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>> Does that incubator release need to remain available for download?
>>
> In that case, I think the incubator release could be removed from the
> current download page.

+1

> Also like many other Apache projects, we can have a separate section
> called 'Archive'  and the older releases like 10.1.1.0 and
> 10.1.2.1 can be moved there.

Or maybe just rename the "Previous Official Releases" section to "Archive"?

> I am all for making the download page as simple as possible.

I agree.

 -jean

Re: new release policy requires changes on Derby site

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>Rajesh Kartha wrote:
>

>>Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>

>>>The new ASF release policy
>>>http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
>>>
>>>means that the Derby download page needs to remove two sections,
>>>Nightly Builds and Snapshot Jars
>>>
>>>http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html
>>>
>>>Dan.
>>>

>>I was also wondering if there still exist any need for the section on
>>Incubator releases. Can't this be moved to the
>>Previous Official Releases ?
>>

>An incubator release isn't an official asf release, so it can't move to
>the previous official releases section.
>
>Does that incubator release need to remain available for download?
>
> -jean

In that case, I think the incubator release could be removed from the
current download page.

Also like many other Apache projects, we can have a separate section
called 'Archive'  and the older releases like 10.1.1.0 and
10.1.2.1 can be moved there.

I am all for making the download page as simple as possible.

-Rajesh

Re: new release policy requires changes on Derby site

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Kartha <ka...@gmail.com>.