Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/21 05:01:34 UTC

[feedparser] Going once, going twice...

We need to make a decision on which way to go here...either demote
back to sandbox/dormant or have someone step up to drive this
component toward a release.

I am happy to help getting the site fixed (seems we just need to add
it to the nav, as http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/feedparser/ is
there) and with build-related issues; but I have neither the time nor
expertise to do much else.

If we can get one knowledgeable and interested committer to step up
and a few volunteers, we can resuscitate; otherwise we should think
about moving it to dormant.

Any volunteers?

Phil

Re: [feedparser] Going once, going twice...

Posted by Andrea Alberto <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to Rahul and Simon for the explanation, also the document on
Wiki has been very useful to better understand the situation.

I think I'll keep reading the mailing list and maybe give some spot
contribution to the commons on a more active project or to some other
projects in Apache.

       Andrea

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi Andrea,

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/05, Andrea Alberto <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am willing to start contributing to some project at the
> jakarta-commons and this could be a good possibility.
> I have java experience but no experience as a developer on RSS (but I
> think this is not a big problem).

<snip/>

Thanks a lot for your interest in Commons :-) If you want to start
contributing to feedparser, please do so via mailing list discussions
and/or contributing fixes and enhancements as you deem fit. But I
wouldn't want you to invest in feedparser *only* because of Phil's
email, since I would expect someone who takes on this task to be:

 * Capable of being the release manager for feedparser 1.0 (which
means the individual probably needs to be an existing Commons
committer willing to invest time in feedparser with immediate effect).

 * Preferably, a "domain expert", i.e. someone who can, without much
effort, make judgements about the correctness and improvements needed
to the codebase (not from a Java syntactic perspective, rather a
feedparser semantic perspective).

-Rahul

>    Andrea
>
> On 12/21/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We need to make a decision on which way to go here...either demote
> > back to sandbox/dormant or have someone step up to drive this
> > component toward a release.
> >
> > I am happy to help getting the site fixed (seems we just need to add
> > it to the nav, as http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/feedparser/ is
> > there) and with build-related issues; but I have neither the time nor
> > expertise to do much else.
> >
> > If we can get one knowledgeable and interested committer to step up
> > and a few volunteers, we can resuscitate; otherwise we should think
> > about moving it to dormant.
> >
> > Any volunteers?
> >
> > Phil

<snap/>

Re: [feedparser] Going once, going twice...

Posted by Andrea Alberto <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 12/21/05, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
>
>>As I also said on the PMC list, I am not particularly interested in development on feedparser, though I am willing to apply patches (if they are complete with testcases).
>
> <snip/>
>
> Thanks for stepping forward Martin, I have no background about any PMC
> thread, but I doubt thats what we are looking for. While I very much
> appreciate your intent, if we are going to sustain feedparser in
> proper, IMO, we really need someone to go beyond routine patches, for
> starters we need a RM for 1.0.

Yeah I know... Was just assuming dormant mode already for my offer, since no one stepped up already for months (though I did a little work on feedparser to get a nightly build). A dormant project will however never see a release, so to be blunt : from where I stand currently there is no need for a release manager, since there is not any activity on feedparser and even if there someone is stepping up as a release manager, we should have serious doubts about making an actual release, since currently no one is supporting feedparser and feedparser will slip into dormant mode pretty quickly again, because of the lack of support.
So there is nothing more to it then trying to fix issues that are in bugzilla (just 3 of them) and sending/committing patches to improve feedparser and get it in shape.

I am just volunteering to commit them (with some review) and keep an eye on what the project is doing.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [feedparser] Going once, going twice...

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/05, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> As I also said on the PMC list, I am not particularly interested in development on feedparser, though I am willing to apply patches (if they are complete with testcases).
<snip/>

Thanks for stepping forward Martin, I have no background about any PMC
thread, but I doubt thats what we are looking for. While I very much
appreciate your intent, if we are going to sustain feedparser in
proper, IMO, we really need someone to go beyond routine patches, for
starters we need a RM for 1.0.

-Rahul

> Assuming dormant means you can still commit to it (else archive would have been a better name probably), we  can move it there and still apply patches if eg Andrea Alberto comes up with something. If feedparsers matures  we can always move it back (with an appropiate vote of course).
>
> So willing to monitor feedparser stuff.
>
> Mvgr,
> Martin
>
> Phil Steitz wrote:
> > We need to make a decision on which way to go here...either demote
> > back to sandbox/dormant or have someone step up to drive this
> > component toward a release.
> >
> > I am happy to help getting the site fixed (seems we just need to add
> > it to the nav, as http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/feedparser/ is
> > there) and with build-related issues; but I have neither the time nor
> > expertise to do much else.
> >
> > If we can get one knowledgeable and interested committer to step up
> > and a few volunteers, we can resuscitate; otherwise we should think
> > about moving it to dormant.
> >
> > Any volunteers?
> >
> > Phil
<snap/>

Re: [feedparser] Going once, going twice...

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
> We need to make a decision on which way to go here...either demote
> back to sandbox/dormant or have someone step up to drive this
> component toward a release.

This is a clear case of demote to dormant IMHO.

Stephen

Re: [feedparser] Going once, going twice...

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 12/21/05, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:

<snip/>

> Yeah I know... Was just assuming dormant mode already for my offer,
<snap/>

OK, I did miss that critical point earlier :-)

On 12/21/05, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> It's not about finding a release manager, but about activity and you don't have to be a committer to be active with coding. :)

<snip/>

True. I now see how some of my statements could be misread, it was
never my intent to discourage anyone. Oh well ...

-Rahul

Re: [feedparser] Going once, going twice...

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

> The big one for me is to know why we'd want to have such a project.
> Rome exists, it has a good license and it's getting used. There's no
> reason to not develop redundant components if the itch is there, but
> why work at creating the itch?

Good point indeed. I just stepped to volunteer helping out when people provide (complete) patches.
The way it currently is with feedparser though, is that I think I won't have much work on that.
(this is not a note for you Hen..)
It's not about finding a release manager, but about activity and you don't have to be a committer to be active with coding. :)

In short, +1 on a move to dormant mode, but I am willing to apply patches to it when people send them.

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [feedparser] Going once, going twice...

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 12/20/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to make a decision on which way to go here...either demote
> back to sandbox/dormant or have someone step up to drive this
> component toward a release.
>
> I am happy to help getting the site fixed (seems we just need to add
> it to the nav, as http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/feedparser/ is
> there) and with build-related issues; but I have neither the time nor
> expertise to do much else.
>
> If we can get one knowledgeable and interested committer to step up
> and a few volunteers, we can resuscitate; otherwise we should think
> about moving it to dormant.
>
> Any volunteers?

The big one for me is to know why we'd want to have such a project.
Rome exists, it has a good license and it's getting used. There's no
reason to not develop redundant components if the itch is there, but
why work at creating the itch?

Hen