Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/25 15:56:30 UTC

Re: [GSoc]HARMONY-6447 - Implement missing functionality in imageio module

In message <26...@mail.gmail.com>,
Yang Lang writes:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Lang Yang, a final year Software Engineering student
> at University of Regina, Canada. I want to pick up task
> HARMONY-6447<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6447>,
> [classlib] [imageio] Implement missing functionality in imageio
> module, as my Google Summer of Code project. According to Mark's
> description, the task is to implement the missing spec'd functionality
> and write unit tests to ensure the implementation behaves correctly
> (Thanks Mark:)).
>
> The JAPI result shows there are totally 41 methods are not implemented
> (I have already submitted a patch that has implemented 4 of the
> methods). By look into the code, I found out that only few APIs have
> unit test case. The implementations of some image format plug-ins are
> also missing from the code (like BMP plug-in).

Thank you for your interest and contribution.

I've committed your first patch so the JAPI results are already
improving.  I've made a set for just the javax.imageio packages and kept
a copy of the results from before you started contributing.  I'll update
it periodically.  See:

  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/imageio-japi/

Looking at the sun50 and sun60 results shows that there are two new
methods in java6 that are also missing:

  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getReaderFileSuffixes()
  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getWriterFileSuffixes()

It would be good to implement those for the java6 branch too.

> My personal expectation for this task will be implementing and test
> the issues I have addressed above. It seems there is no mentor
> assigned to this task yet. I wonder if anyone wants to be my mentor on
> this task.

Any volunteers?

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [GSoc]HARMONY-6447 - Implement missing functionality in imageio module

Posted by Yang Lang <ya...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Mark Hindess
<ma...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> In message <26...@mail.gmail.com>,
> Yang Lang writes:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > My name is Lang Yang, a final year Software Engineering student
> > at University of Regina, Canada. I want to pick up task
> > HARMONY-6447<http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6447>,
> > [classlib] [imageio] Implement missing functionality in imageio
> > module, as my Google Summer of Code project. According to Mark's
> > description, the task is to implement the missing spec'd functionality
> > and write unit tests to ensure the implementation behaves correctly
> > (Thanks Mark:)).
> >
> > The JAPI result shows there are totally 41 methods are not implemented
> > (I have already submitted a patch that has implemented 4 of the
> > methods). By look into the code, I found out that only few APIs have
> > unit test case. The implementations of some image format plug-ins are
> > also missing from the code (like BMP plug-in).
>
> Thank you for your interest and contribution.

I've committed your first patch so the JAPI results are already
> improving.  I've made a set for just the javax.imageio packages and kept
> a copy of the results from before you started contributing.  I'll update
> it periodically.  See:

Thank you. I feel more comfortable in this way since this is my first time
contribute to a big project like this. Especially when I don't have a really
good understanding for the architecture behind the library. It would be
great if you have a copy of original packages, so we can always roll back if
we need (Hope we will never need to do this :D )

I am thinking stop coding for a week or two and read through the whole
javax.imageio.packages code, and get familiar with all the existing methods
and techniques in order to have a good image of the lib. It would be really
helpful for me to build robust implementations.

>  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/imageio-japi/
>
> Looking at the sun50 and sun60 results shows that there are two new
> methods in java6 that are also missing:
>
>  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getReaderFileSuffixes()
>  javax.imageio.ImageIO.getWriterFileSuffixes()
>
> It would be good to implement those for the java6 branch too.

Yes, thanks for point out this. I will look into this.

Posted by Yang Lang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alexei :)

I have created a sub-task HARMONY-6482 and attached a patch.

In that task, I have implemented:
javax.imageio.ImageIO.getImageReader()
javax.imageio.ImageIO.getImageWriter()
javax.imageio.spi.ImageReaderSpi.getImageWriterSpiNames()

though, I haven't finalize the catch exception parts. It seems those
messages i needed are not listed in the messages.propertied file. Is there
any conventions or webpages I need to look at before insert a message into
that file?

Thank you,

Lang

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <26...@mail.gmail.com>,
Lang Yang writes:

> Hello guys,
>
> Alexei cannot access to the access to Internet regularly in August. Is
> there anyone else who can co-mentor me with him for this project?
>
> Thank you, really appreciated

I'll be co-mentor with Alexei.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [GSoc]HARMONY-6447 - Implement missing functionality in imageio module

Posted by Lang Yang <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hello guys,

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <c3...@mail.gmail.com>,
Alexei Fedotov writes:

> I have checked the patch, and JIRA. Could I assume ACQ is in place?

Alexei,

Lang's ACQ/ICLA is not on file yet.

I committed the patch on the basis that Lang agreed (off-list) to
provide an ACQ/ICLA and that I'd take responsibility to back it out if
there was a problem.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [GSoc]HARMONY-6447 - Implement missing functionality in imageio module

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.