Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Monsur Hossain <mo...@xanga.net> on 2005/08/24 00:50:59 UTC

Lucene and Xanga.com

Hey all.  We just relaunched our search feature over here at Xanga.com; the
Blogs, Metros and Blogrings sections are powered by Lucene.NET!  You can
check it out here:

http://search.xanga.com/

This is only the beginning of what we want to do with search and Lucene.  I
want to thank everyone on this list for all the help over the months.  Its
great to see a project like Lucene thriving!

Monsur

Re: Lucene and Xanga.com

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/05, Monsur Hossain <mo...@monsur.com> wrote:

> Otis, we've been continually impressed with the performance of Lucene.
> We've been ever increasing the load we are putting on it (from our small
> help section, to our slightly larger metros, to our big groups, and then
> our gigantic weblogs), and it has meet each of these challenges
> wonderfully.
>
> We are currently indexing only a few weeks worth of data (about a 6.5
> gig index)..  I think we can increase that even more and over the next

I've only found Lucene to fall down when optimizing REALLY huge
indexes like 300G or so.  Then you run out of available system memory
(4G on 32bit machines) and you hit disk.  Then it starts to take weeks
to optimize :-)

Of course you coudl use multiple machines or get more memory.

Kevin

      AIM/YIM - sfburtonator,  Web - http://www.feedblog.org/

RE: Lucene and Xanga.com

Posted by Monsur Hossain <mo...@monsur.com>.
Otis, we've been continually impressed with the performance of Lucene.
We've been ever increasing the load we are putting on it (from our small
help section, to our slightly larger metros, to our big groups, and then
our gigantic weblogs), and it has meet each of these challenges
wonderfully.

We are currently indexing only a few weeks worth of data (about a 6.5
gig index)..  I think we can increase that even more and over the next
few weeks I'm going to play with it to find an optimal index size.  At
some point beyond that, we might consider partitioning the index into
chunks so that we can allow users to search beyond just the recent
posts.

Monsur

Re: Lucene and Xanga.com

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.