Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Mark Carman <ca...@itc.it> on 2003/10/23 10:21:48 UTC

Examples of stateful services

Dear all,

Apologies if this request is slightly off topic for this list.

Does anybody have any WSDL examples of services with state?

We are trying to perform automated service/operation composition using
planning technology, and we need as many examples as possible of
services with internal state.

Also if anybody has any examples of processes involving the composition
of multiple services, they would be very much appreciated.

Yours,

Mark Carman
ITC-irst

Re: Examples of stateful services

Posted by Tom Oinn <tm...@ebi.ac.uk>.
We have a project called Soaplab (http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/soaplab/)
where the services are inherently stateful; they wrap around arbitrary
command line tools (mostly life science analysis programs) and expose
them as services driven by metadata descriptions. These follow a
standard factory pattern; create returns an ID, this ID is then passed
to all other operations. This state is therefore explicit, we do not use
mechanisms such as sessions because there is a requirement to pick up
state at a later point or at a different location.

In addition, we have a project called Taverna (taverna.sf.net) which is
about composing services, web and otherwise, into workflows. This is in
use with quite a few life science groups at the moment, we're interested
in any feedback though :)

Cheers,

Tom